Mulberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaudet

Reaction score
Started juicing 18 pounds of berries this afternoon. 1/3 through and figure that I will have 2.5-3 gallons of juice from these 18 pounds of berries. I am only shooting for a 3 gallon batch, but I might have enough juice left to make a nice batch of jelly as well.

As usual pictures and recipe to come.

I am planning to pick some more mulberries for a f-pack. But just in case I don't, if I have 2.5 gallons of pure juice, I will use 1/2 gallon for jelly tonight. Or I might just can 3 quarts for future use.

You are getting a really nice yield there godaddy -er- gaudet (go-day). It must put a touch of water in there since liquid averages 8 pounds per gallon so you are gaining weight by steaming it! Maybe that's why I gain weight whenever I work hard enough to sweat
smiley5.gif

Making the pulp run now.... As per Northern Wino's advice when steam juicing.

I have right at 1.5 gallons so far before this last juicing of the pulp.

Realistically I think I will end up with just over 2 gallons.

appleman said:
I bet it tastes really great. I have never had it before- haven't even run around the mulberry bush!

Too hot to taste right now.
smiley15.gif

Mulberries are a very sweet berry to begin with, and tasty off the bush, or tree. These taste fantastic. I hope that the wine as as good as the flavor this juice has. I can hardly wait.

Mulberries taste awesome although a little weak for wine so an f- pack will most likely be needed to make it stand out!

Ok here it is.  I got 2 gallons of pure juice out of 18 pounds of mulberries.  I just used 1 quart to make jelly.  I got 8 half pints of jelly out of this quart.  Wine recipe as follows. 

1.75 gallons pure juice
1.5 gallon water with 10 cups sugar heated to dissolve the sugar
1.5 tsp yeast energizer
1 tbs yeast nutrient
2 tsp wine tannin (powdered)
Initial SG was 1.080
3 tabs campden crushed and all ingredients stirred in thoroughly.

I tried to test for acid and I was not able to get a reading with the NAOH due to the darkness of the juice.  I will add pectic enzyme tomorrow night and pitch yeast either tomorrow night or Saturday morning.  Anyone that might have a suggestion to test for acid your input is greatly appreciated.  I don't have a pH meter just yet. I will add 2 tsp pectic enzyme in the morning.

Follow the direction in the test kit for testing a dark red wine. It involves diluting the juice to get a lighter color. I don't have the instructions here and don't remember the amounts because I use a pH meter now. It seems like you can add like 5 times as much water without affecting the reading hardly at all. It should be in the instruction booklet.

Thanks Rich, my kit did not have any instructions on how far you could dilute the test jar. I have the LD Carlson kit if anyone knows how much you can dilute it

You can do a dilution of upt to 5-1 of 8.2 (or distilled) water without affecting the results hardly at all. That will lighten up most wines enough.

cool, so I can take say a 15 ml sample of my wine, and add 45 ml of water to dilute it I can go as high as 75 ml of water to dilute it to get my TA acid reading. Do I need more pheynol indicator or keep just the 3 drops?

Damn I can't believe that it was still so dark that I couldn't see an effective color change. I diluted it 5 to 1 and it was still extremely dark. Bet mulberries would make a great port.

I dont recall them having that strong of a taste but its been awhile, I do remember them being dark as the huge tree where I am going to get mine hangs over the road and colors the street a pretty purple.
smiley16.gif

Well, I decided to follow your lead Wade, and I added 1/2 tsp per gallon. So I added 1.5 tsp acid blend. I tasted after stirring and I'm pretty sure I'm ok with that addition.

Got the D-47 Lalvin rehydrating in 105 degree water and will pitch tonight. SG taken at this time was 1.084 temp of the must 76 degrees Rock and roll.......

Just check TA after fermentation is done, its usually pretty close.

Racked to 3 gallon and remainder to 1 gallon jug. The SG was 1.020

Latest posts

Back