Mulberry stem question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guapo

Reaction score
I have 17 lbs of frozen Mulberries that are thawing for a 3 gal batch of wine.
There are stems on all the berries that I really don't want to remove. I have heard that one may crush the berries with a wine press http://www.finevinewines.com/p-478-5517.aspx and not have to remove the stems. I do not have a steamer, so my question is:

Is there a better way to get the juice from the berries without having to remove the stems, or should I go ahead as planned and use the wine press? (I have heard that the stems will make the wine bitter)

Thanks in advance for your replies

I used whole berries on my first batch. I froze them, thawed them out, did not remove the short stems and started the batch. I can't say that I had a bitter taste in the wine at all. I do however beleive that steamed juice makes a better final product ( at least when using Mulberries ) Just my opinion whatever it's worth. My second batch I used steamed juice and only juice. It's been bulk aging about 7 months now and is better than my first batch was at 12 months.
months.

BOB

Definitely Steam juice. The stems have a lot of tannin in them. Good Luck! The recipe sounds good

Ok, I used a wine press and got 1-1/4 gallons of pure undiluted mulberry juice. It did a good job actually. The juice was really thick and I believe will make a fine wine. Time will tell. Thanks to everyone for your input!
smiley32.gif

Keep us posted Guapo. I've got last years batch aging in the carboy and awaiting bottling soon. Almost time to go start picking this years batch....

Latest posts

Back