Mourning the Pino Noir

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got one I'll sell ya... some assembly required =)

ROFLMFAO

animated_gif_005_shenzi_laughing.gif
mz_3830934_bodyshot_175x233.gif
animated_gif_002_banzai_laughing.gif

ALERT ALERT There are 10 empty carboys at Dan's home. Wade and Tom, isn't this a violation of moderator status. It's like seeing a horror movie.

Dan stop you're killing me!

Actually that picture is a year old. Don't you remember this past fall when I was begging and pleading for more 6 gallon carboys. Well I have at least that many more empty again with a heck off a lot more then that filled. Goota make room for Chilean and the Maple trees will be running real soon also.

You may want to invest in a brew hauler or two. They are really nice. Sorry for your loss.

I dont lift any carboys ever. Its worth the 2 minutes to clean a hose and racking cane IMo to just rack it over usiung the vacuu set up. I have actually racked my wine up 1 floor in my house once!!!!!!!!!!. I have a small hole behind my wall and one under my sink up stairs to do this and it worked fine. Very sorry for your loss and all wine flags around the country are at 1/2 mast!!!!!!!! :(

I dont lift any carboys ever. Its worth the 2 minutes to clean a hose and racking cane IMo to just rack it over usiung the vacuu set up. I have actually racked my wine up 1 floor in my house once!!!!!!!!!!. I have a small hole behind my wall and one under my sink up stairs to do this and it worked fine. Very sorry for your loss and all wine flags around the country are at 1/2 mast!!!!!!!! :(

Thanks... I wasn't planning on lifting carboys anymore either thats why I took the handles off!... Oh well, lesson learned.

The problem now is the basment has a little bit of an odor... kinda musty... Any chance it will go away on its own? We mopped the whole floor down with bleach water after it happened... except under the hot water tank. Also we susspect some might have gone down between the concrete and the vapor barrier.

After a week the odor should disapate. It's in everything now (odor) so give fresh air a chance to do it's job. Plus this spring the ants will take care of what you couldn't reach.

No Bleach!

Air out that place fast. Bleach is not a product you want to use in an area that you are making wine in because of the Chlorine. Chlorine and wine are not compatible! :sh :sh :sh

See this link on Chlorine use in the Winery

We mopped the whole floor down with bleach water after it happened... except under the hot water tank. Also we susspect some might have gone down between the concrete and the vapor barrier.

Air out that place fast. Bleach is not a product you want to use in an area that you are making wine in because of the Chlorine. Chlorine and wine are not compatible! :sh :sh :sh

See this link on Chlorine use in the Winery

That is an interesting read. I think we are fine since all the wine that is in current batches are under air lock and did not come in contact with any chlorine and it will have been 3 full days since the bleach was present before any of the air locks are removed. Plus we have good ventalation down their since the HVAC system blows air into the basement when it runs.

Also our corkers are in a sealed bag so they wouldn't have come in contact with any chlorine and we don't have any bottled stock at the moment to be concerned with.

I agree with not using chlorine around wine. The areas you can't mop, atleast try to rinse down with some soapy water so you don't grow any mold.

Latest posts

Back