Mourning the Pino Noir

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeLoveCab

Reaction score
DSCN3108.jpg

DSCN3107.jpg

DSCN3106.jpg

Please tell me that was a "cheap" pinot noir on the floor (and NOT that nice Selection Estate Series box i see in the photos) :slp

No, the Estate Series that is pictured is the Lodi Old Vine Zin and is our first stab at an Estate series. The lost batch was a Selection Orginal Series... In all we lost $136USD between the kit and the smashed carboy.

Any loss of wine is a sad day, but thankfully it wasn't that Estate Series!
This is my main concern about stepping up to the Estate Series and similar premium kits. You only have to make one mistake and it's hugely costly.

Any loss of wine is a sad day, but thankfully it wasn't that Estate Series!
This is my main concern about stepping up to the Estate Series and similar premium kits. You only have to make one mistake and it's hugely costly.

After making wine for over a year now which included making about 13+ kits... one accident isn't so bad....

Not to mention the only reason we were moving the carboy's was to replace the top of the work bench because the 2x8s were warped a little so we wanted to go with some plywood.

My father in law and I each took a carboy handle and put it on a carboy, he didn't tighten his down and I whent to pick it up and it slipped out. So had I been doing it all myself this would have been avoided.

OMG I am so sorry to hear that. You are one lucky dude you didn't get seriously injured from the glass hitting the ground if it slipped out of your hand. I also have those handles on all of my carboys. Where do you place your's. Between the lips or under the bottom one. I put all of mine below the bottom one so I am able to place the orange caps on them for racking. Happy to hear no injuries reported except pride.

Thanks Dan, I was very lucky. I think what saved me was the carboy did not shatter when it first hit the floor. It hit on the bottom edge and if it had shattered at that point I probably would have been sprayed with glass and wine. However the glass held until it fell on its side, at that time it exploded out its sides. I got only a very small amount of wine on one of my socks. I was wearing open toe sandles so had it fallen on my foot I would have had a serious injury.

Joe, thanks for the compliment. This weekend we're putting up some walls to seperate that area off from the rest of the basement. Then I can start running some electrical and eventually plumbing. I'll have some progress pictures next week I hope.

That brings tears to my eyes just looking at it.......

So sorry for your loss. I have had a couple of close calls with empty carboys but (knock on wood) not full ones.

Like the time I accidentally left the valve on the primary in the open position and started pouring juice in it, that's a mistake you'll only make once.

I bet you have triple checked all the rest of your carboy handles by now!

These are the rubber mats I use in my cellar. I have two in front of my wine table and two in my bottle washing area. They are thick and work very well. When washing a bottle several weeks ago I dropped one and it bounced back up and hit me in the chin. I have a floor mat under my table to sit empty carboys on. These rubber mats are less than $20.00 a piece. If you get any store them outside or in the garage for a week first or you basement will smell very strong of rubber. As far as cleaning I just go over them with a mop if I spill anything on them and once in a while will lift them up to hit the floor with a mop and bucket. Plus extremely comfortable to stand on and saves the back. You can get these at Lowes or Home Depot in the flooring dept.

DSCN2064.jpg

Yeah I'm a nervous wreck with those carboy handles. It doesn't seem like the glass should be able to hold the weight of the angular force when you pick it up. I'm surprised there aren't more stories likes this. Either that or everybody else is too embarassed!!

Joe I always keep one hand under the carboy and use the handle to balance it. I think the handles have saved my *** a few times when washing them as they get very slippery. When rinsing or washing I always hang onto the handles. I also carry the empty carboys by the handle. To pick up or carry a full carboy by the handle is just plain suicidal!

A five gallon carboy full is around 45 pounds. I think of this every single time I pick one up. I have a carboy handle but never use it. I'm afraid it's too much tension at one point. I always grab one hand on the neck and lift with th eother underneath.

So glad you guys are not hurt. We move our carboys all the time and don't think about how serious one can get hurt.

Sad to hear about the accident but I believe there is a reason for everything. It may just be awhile before you discover why.

Glad no one's hurt!

I've carried full carboys by the handle only. The glass is very thick in the area where the handle goes on... Again the only reason this happened was because my father in law had placed the handle on the carboy and did not fully tighten it and didn't warn me before I picked it up that it needed to be properly tightened.

As for the rubber mats that is a great idea. Once we get the walls up that will be a good next investment.

To be honest though, with the vacume pump I don't see myself lifting carboys very much anymore. Since I don't need gravity to do anything I can put the empty right next to the full one and flip the switch.

If you get any store them outside or in the garage for a week first or you basement will smell very strong of rubber.
I've also heard of folks buying them and taking them straight to the car wash and blasting them really well to quickly get rid of most of the smell.

I always grab one hand on the neck and lift with th eother underneath.
This is my method, too. I trust my hands way more than I'd trust one of the handles LOL!

These are the rubber mats I use in my cellar. I have two in front of my wine table and two in my bottle washing area. They are thick and work very well. When washing a bottle several weeks ago I dropped one and it bounced back up and hit me in the chin. I have a floor mat under my table to sit empty carboys on. These rubber mats are less than $20.00 a piece. If you get any store them outside or in the garage for a week first or you basement will smell very strong of rubber. As far as cleaning I just go over them with a mop if I spill anything on them and once in a while will lift them up to hit the floor with a mop and bucket. Plus extremely comfortable to stand on and saves the back. You can get these at Lowes or Home Depot in the flooring dept.

DSCN2064.jpg

Dan,
I'll give you 5 bucks each for those empty carboys. I'm in need of a couple.

Back