More Sorbate?????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chettd

Reaction score
Still working on my strawberry wine. I added Na Meta and K Sorbate, waited 24 hours and added an f-pac as described here on the forums. Now, two days later, there are very small bubbles climbing the side of the carboy. I still need to back sweeten the wine. Should I add more meta and sorbate? The SG hasn't changed in the last week so I think the fermentation has stopped, but the tiny bubbles have me wondering if it needs stabilized again.

Chett, did you degass? Have you fined the wine? How much sorbate and sulfite did you add to how large a batch of wine?

WE need more info. to help you correctly.

I have degassed. I added the recommended amount for the six gallons that I am making. I don't think I've "fined" the wine, if that means adding a clarifier.

Ditto with Steve
How much sorbate you add and how big a batch

If the wine hasn't been cleared and aged a little you still have viable yeast in there. Even though you have prevented them from reproducing (sorbate) those that are still alive will feed on any sugar in there.

What is the temp? If the temp is lower - it might might just be taking its sweet time making alcohol.

Although the strawberry wine i did seemed to be extremely gassy.

I had to degass a few different times. So you might also be seeing CO2 being released.

Should I proceed with back sweetening then degass without adding additives at this time?

With the info. at hand. What is the specific gravity after you added the f pak? Monitor it. If it is declining you are still fermenting.

Normally you would fine the wine. Rack and age it. Rack and back sweeten with sorbate. (only add sorbate once). Wait a few weeks and bottle if no longer fermenting.

Time and the lack of nutrients and sugar will starve and kill the yeast thru atrition.

Degass now if it needs it.

You've actually mentioned another question that I was wondering about. When back sweetening, do you add the sorbate at the same time as the sugar, or before?

Providing you added 1/2tsp per gallon you are set. No more is needed

It is suggested that you wait 24+ hours before adding f-pac or back sweetening

Tom,

As I mentioned above, I just added the f-pac. I was asking if I needed to add more sorbate because after adding the f-pac I started getting oxygen bubbles. I was also unclear as to when sorbate should be added when back sweetening.

nope you are set as long you added 1/2tsp per gal. the bubbles can be a few things. just ck the gravity before adding f-pac so that it does not change. What was the gravity when you added meta and sorbate?
How big a batch you have?
I am the fruit guru here as I make alot of fruit wines. Any questions ask

I am the fruit guru here as I make alot of fruit wines. Any questions ask

koolaidted.gif

IGNORE him :gb Dan don't come close to what I make

Nope never made it. Tom you are certainly the king of making fruit wine. Did you taste the Aldi's plum wine you made last year yet. I think it's something I Might might like to try sometime.

Dan,
Tell you what. Yes I did a Aldi's canned Plum AND I got fresh plums shortly after I started it. Well it's in. Both were very good BUTT, by a "slight" margin I liked the fresh better. So, If you can get the canned GET IT!. I just got a deal on fresh that you would not believe price wise on the fresh.

Latest posts

Back