More sediment than wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have an upright washing machine you can use it like a centrifuge to remove a lot of your sediment. Fill 2 plastic bottles (I use 2 qt wide mouth juice) put them on opposite sides of the tub and run the spin cycle. Make sure the top of the bottle is facing in the direction the tub is spinning.

Oh... you REALLY have to post a video of that. I've never heard of anyone doing anything like that. :h

I found a reference to this on Jack Keller's site and have used it several times with my second run grapes when the skins and pulp are so macerated that the gross lees don't settle over 24 hrs. I'll try to remember to post on this in the fall.

Treeman you have to be single or have a spare wash machine. Most of them I have met in my 60+ years would castrate the husband for just thinking about this. ::

Here are some pics from a recent racking off of gross lees. The pressed wine was not that "fluffy" on the gross lees, and I managed to get about 1/2 of my volume back in wine after running through the basement centrifuge [emoji4]
ImageUploadedByWine Making1476186566.918124.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1476186587.115766.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1476186601.166471.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1476186614.584911.jpg

Back