Mold in primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXfanatic

Reaction score
I am making Rhubarb from juice. The juice is about 3 months old (canned but one was canned poorly)

I had one jar that was 1/2 full and without noticing the mold on the top of it i dumped it into the pail. And yes it was the last jar to be added. I skimmed off the large chunks of mold but

whatcha think....... dump it and wait till next year and try again or let it run its course and see what happens?

Does the must smell fruity and correct? If so, I'd do a full 1/8 tsp of k meta per 5 gallons of must, stir it in real well, wait 12 hours or even maybe a tad longer, and then proceed. What you got to lose but 5 days of fermentation time? I'd bet odds are that things work out.

Curiously enough, we had some frozen cider given to us by a friend. It smelled musty, but we fermented it anyway with the intention of using it for fruit fly traps. When we went to bottle it, it smelled and tasted great. It ended up making a good apple wine!!!

I'd get 1 campden tab per gallon in it and give it a day. If this is not a large volume of juice, it might be worth experimenting with.

Most of the time you wouldn't do this--OR use moldy fruit because your wine is as good as your fruit quality. The mold nonwithstanding, the poor canning technique may have damaged the flavor too. Did you taste it?

I did not taste the juice (i do not like rhubarb at all) yuck!! However the Mrs does. The juice did smell like rhubarb. I did add the campden tabs yesterday and will wait till tonight to add the yeast.

Thanks Steve

Latest posts

Back