Mosti Mondiale MM Ren. Chilean Pinot Noir

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Meglioli Amarone on deck. I would not worry about it at all Mike. I assume you racked off of the gross lees. Let it sit and stabilize for a bit. Will you be bulk aging this one?

Otis Greg said:
I think I may have carried too much of the sediment on the Amarone. Any suggestions? Maybe an additional racking?

Mike
I doubt an "additional" racking will be necessary. Sorry if I missed it in another thread, but where are you with this Amarone? Have you stabilized? Usually I will let the wine sit for about 3 weeks after stabilizing and then rack to a clean carboy for a couple of months. For that racking, which is on day 40 +/- I accept whatever sediment is picked up when the auto-siphon is lowered to the bottom of the carboy and into the sediment bed. I even tip the carboy a couple of inches towards the end of the racking to get most of the wine.

Around day 90 I rack to the bottling bucket using the same technique as above. By then there is only a thin layer of sediment, very little of which will find its way into the bottle.

I hope this helps, Mike.

I just stabilized yesterday. Yes that helps me. So in a few weeks i will rack again and bulk age for 3 months. Sounds like plan.

I may not be bulk ageing after all. I just sat down to read my directions and see that at the end it says if you are going to bulk age don't add the clarifying. I wish they would have put that disclaimer in phase 2. It does say read all directions thorougly first. Ainother rookie mistake I guess. So I will probably bottle this weekend. Is it absolutely imperative that you not bulk age after clarifying?
smiley7.gif

Who made that rule?

After fining (or clarifying) I wait up to a month to clear then rack off the fines and top off once again as needed. then bulk age as long as I want to keeping track of my SO2 levels along the way.

Otis Greg said:
I may not be bulk ageing after all. I just sat down to read my directions and see that at the end it says if you are going to bulk age don't add the clarifying. I wish they would have put that disclaimer in phase 2. It does say read all directions thorougly first. Ainother rookie mistake I guess. So I will probably bottle this weekend. Is it absolutely imperative that you not bulk age after clarifying?
smiley7.gif

As mike implied, no rule. Some people prefer and IIRC Mosti reccomends not adding clarifying until a week or two before bottling. Many others add claifers then rack off sediment at 2-3 weeks. Then every 3-4 months during bulk aging.

Awesome. thanks, the words on MM directions say "Highly recommends not to do clarifying", which scared me. But I sent my message hoping you would say differently.

Update: I racked again and will bottle this weekend. I took a sample..
The nose...cherries, raspberries, strawberries with a hint of dried meat.
Nice acidity in the mid palate, silky and sexy.
Finish ...lingering cherries and strawberries and black pepper
This baby is at 15 month in carboy... I can only imagine..what it is taste like in 6 months bottle.... Cheers

Latest posts

Back