Mosti Mondiale MM Ren. Chilean Pinot Noir

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnDTurner

Reaction score
Yesterday Aug 26, 2011 I started in primary. Any opinions on this kit? I was in contact with George he recommended this one to me. I was looking for a more balanced Pinot.

I have a thread going on this one. Mine is just over 18months old and I have opened both splits and one full bottle. It has much more Pinot flavor than the AJ Pinot I made. Definitely a little Chilean spice. I like mine very much at this point and it will only get better.

Welcome to the FVW forums!
20110827_100259_kgo_057.gif

Thank you! I have been lurking for a little while. How long did it take for it to start coming around? How is the mouth feel? Did you do any tweaks (Glycerin, Tancor, etc.)?

Shawn

Most of the red Renaissance kits can be eased into at 12mo minimum. Much better at 18mo. I bottled without any tweaks but I have re-corked a couple with a small amount of Tancor Grand Cru to see how that effects the taste/finish.

Update:

I transferred a couple of days ago, once the SG was between 1.04 and 1.05. The nose on this one is amazing! Which is rather strange because, during the initial few days fermentation. The fermentation was going pretty steady but the nose was not to impressive.

I am excited about this one! Hey Mike did you leave the oak in longer than what was given in the instructions?

I need to look at my notebook when I get home but I seem to recall I did and even added an extra ounce of French Oak was well.

No extra oak was added. I did transfer the oak to carboy and left it in till I fined and stabilized.

Hey Gentlemen,
I started mine August 30th. Last night it was between 1.050- 1.040. Tonight it should be ready for secondary. Look forward to your thoughts while making this one.

I think jeepbabe and uavwmn might be a little miffed at your post, (Hey Gentlemen)
smiley2.gif

That said, I am looking forward to hearing the reports on this kit, also. SWMBO loves Pinot Noirs. Mike's tasting notes sound very encouraging. Might have to sneak it into the lineup.

I have a question. After 1st racking from primary there is constant bubbling resembling co2 release but it is constant and been going for a few days in carboy. I don't remember this happening in my 4 other kits. I racked when it was between 1.020 and 1.010. Maybe i am just paranoid but i would think the gas would have been slowing down by now. Any thoughts?
smiley5.gif

Perfectly normal. Its still undergoing secondary fermentation. Take a SG reading see where its at.

Thanks Mike, will do. I had about a bottle of wine left after transferring and wanted to be able to use it later to top off. Is this recommended and if so how should I store it until I go to clearing stage?

Is the Carboy full now? Store it in a clean sanitized wine bottle with a cork in it halfway if the Carboy is full.

Great. Yes the Carboy is full and that is exactly what I did with leftover. So when i go to clearing and am a little short I can add the leftover?

Absolutely. It just hit me that this thing is still fermenting so you better put an airlock into the top of the bottle so it can finish out just like the wine. They make small stoppers that will fit into a wine bottle, then add an airlock. I suppose a balloon would do in a pinch until you get one but it needs to release the CO2 being generated still.

Update:

I racked off of gross less. S.G. .996 Topped off with LAI LAI Pinot Noir Bio Bio Valley, Chile 2009 and marbles. I ran out of marbles so I picked up this Pinot.

Shawn, I topped off this morning with a Clos Du Bois Pinot. Couldn't find a chilean. I am also doing a MM Amarone at the same time. What a difference between the two. I think I may have carried too much of the sediment on the Amarone. Any suggestions? Maybe an additional racking?

Mike

Back