Mosti Mondiale MM All Juice Amarone

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
unaFORDable said:
what wade said about the tan'cor.... There was a write up here, maybe the newsletter that comes out every month??? that talked about using tan'cor

the raisins were just.... well they were floating all over and I had to get them out and then had to squish them enough to get all the juice back out of them. This was my first time dealing with raisins (or grape pack) and I just dumped them in. The next kit that I did that had a grape pack, I put it into cheesecloth and that worked soooooo much easier.
Here it is

e-mail: [email protected] website: www.scottlab.com
TAN’COR

Specific tannin for use in aging red wines

Tan'Cor is a blend of proanthocyanidic (grape) and ellagic (oak) tannins. It was specifically
developed for use during tank and barrel aging for color stabilization and protection against
oxidation. A less reactive, more polymerized product, Tan'Cor is less harsh and integrates
into the finished wine. Use of Tan'Cor may also help reduce the need for fining at the end of
maturation. Laboratory trials prior to use are recommended.
RECOMMENDED DOSAGE

§ 10-30g/hl for red wines (0.80 - 2.4lb/1000gal)
Dissolve the necessary quantity of Tan'Cor in 10 times its weight in warm waters
(35°C/95°F). Add to wine during a pumpover to obtain good homogenization.
Additions can be made during the first two or three rackings, followed by an organoleptic
evaluation. Final additions should be made three to six weeks before bottling to allow
complete polymerization and settling.
PACKAGING

1kg Bags
5kg Bags
LABORATORY TRIAL PREPARATION

Prepare a 4.5% Tan’Cor solution by adding 4.5 grams of Tan'Cor to 80ml of deionized water
in a 100ml volumetric flask. When dissolved, bring to volume of 100ml.
Laboratory Trial Recommendations:
Per 375 ml bottle
Target Addition lb/1000 gallon mls of 4.5% Tan’Cor
10 g/hl 0.83 0.83
12 g/hl 1.00 1.00
14 g/hl 1.17 1.17
16 g/hl 1.34 1.34
18 g/hl 1.51 1.51
20 g/hl 1.66 1.66
30 g/hl 2.49 2.49
Allow wine samples to polymerize by waiting 12-24 hrs before tasting results.
The information herein is true and accurate to the best of our knowledge, however, this data sheet is not to be considered as a

guarantee expressed or implied, or as a condition of sale of this product.

OK I have not heard of Tan'cor.
Wade Can you explain it?

I did several searches last night on Tan'cor. The most descriptive thing that I could find is similar to the information above, "color stabilization and protection against oxidation. A less reactive, more polymerized product, Tan'Cor is less harsh and integrates into the finished wine. Use of Tan'Cor may also help reduce the need for fining at the end of maturation."

My response to that is, "Huh?" It just is not clear what the product accomplishes. Is it a replacement for other tannin products?

I've not seen this in any of the LHBS so wondering what the cost are as well.

I would like to see if anyone has used it.

Tepe, see the March Newletter from the Fine Vine Wines Store site. Here is a link to it. In the newletter it describes it a bit more and comparison.

http://www.finevinewines.com/March_2009.htm#LETTER.BLOCK14

Here is the text from that:

POST FERMENTATION TANNIN
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Wine Makers Toy Store carries two post fermentation tannin products that were obtained from Scott Laboratories: Tan'Cor and Tan'Cor Grand Cru. Both products are a blend of proanthocyanidic (grape) and ellagic (oak) tannins. The products were developed to aid in color stabilization and protection against oxidation. In addition Tan'Cor Grand Cru increases structure and mouth-feel through the creation of long-chain polyphenols.

We decided to try the tannins on a Castel del Papa, the 10-Liter Vinifera Nobel kit from Mosti Mondiale. Since these tannins are to be added post-fermentation, we added them after the wine had been degassed and fined. The amount of tannin added can be increased with each racking, however the final adjustment should be made at least three to six weeks before bottling. For our test we made only one addition.

For both products Scott Laboratories recommends a dosage of from 10 to 30 grams per hundred Liters. For our test we selected the low end (10g/hL) and the mid-point (20g/hL). The wine was divided into five one-gallon batches. One batch had no tannin added and was our control sample. Tan'cor was added to two of the one-gallon batches, one received 0.4 grams and the other 0.8 grams. Tan'Cor Grand Cru was also added to two one-gallon batches in the same amounts. The wine was then allowed to age for about six months.

The wines were tasted after three months of aging. The wines with the tannin additive were somewhat smoother than the control sample but there was no significant difference in aroma and taste between the samples. When tasted at bottling, the wines with the tannin addition were noticeably smoother that the control. During this period, all the individual wines had improved aroma and taste. The tasters were mixed as to which tannin product and which dosage produced the better aroma and taste. All did agree that the wines with the tannin additions had a more pronounced fruit aroma and taste than the control.

After three months of bottle age, the wines were again tasted. The body of all wines was consistent with expectations from a 10-Liter kit. The tannin additions did however; create the perception of increased body. This perception was from the wine being more fruit forward and the improved mouth-feel. All wines with the tannin addition were noted as having more pronounced fruit aroma and taste than the control. The larger the dosage, the more fruit forward the wine. The wine treated with Tan'Cor Grand Cru showed better mouth-feel than the control or the wine treated with Tan'Cor.

Another tasting was conducted after eight months of bottle aging. The tannin treated wines were still smoother than the control but the difference was not as significant as it had been when the wines were younger. The wines treated with either Tan'Cor Grand Cru or Tan'Cor continued to show better mouth-feel and were more fruit forward than the control. Tan'Cor Grand Cru had better mouth-feel and was fruitier than the Tan'Cor treated wine. The tasters were not able to discern a significant difference due to the increased dosage of the tannin products.

In summary, the wines with the tannin addition were smoother and more fruit forward than the control wine. As the dosage of tannin increased, the fruit became more emphasized although this emphasis seemed to diminish with time. Both products improved the mouth-feel of the wine; however, the improvement was more apparent in the wines that had the Tan'Cor Grand Cru added. The difference between the treated and the untreated wine is not subtle; the difference is very evident. The tannins integrated well into the wine and there was no noticed harshness or excess astringency. Based upon our tasting, these tannin additions can make an improvement in a young wine. Unfortunately, because of frequent sampling we do not have enough wine left to determine the longer term effects of these tannin products.

These two tannin products were developed to be added to the wine after fermentation is complete and at least three weeks before bottling. As previously indicated, Scott Laboratories recommends a dosage of 10 to 30 grams per hundred Liters. Based upon our trials, one teaspoon of either Tan'Cor or Tan'Cor Grand Cru in six gallons will approximate a dosage at the low end of the recommended range, two teaspoons is about the mid-point and three teaspoons is the high end of the recommended range.

Here is a link to the page to order some:

http://www.finevinewines.com/Home-Wine-Making-Addiitives-Tannin.asp

I'm experimenting with the Tan'cor grand cru. I've added it to my Amarone and I just added it to an CC Old Vine Zin. The tan'cor stuff smells pretty good, like smoky oak. It's sold here, both types the tan'cor and the tan'cor grand cru. Go back to the newletters and look up march 2009. That's the write-up that I read.
TinaLouise

Is this any different than the other tannin products out there. Better-same.

I started my Amarone yesterday. Jeesh! I removed the cap from the bag and... wine volcano without fermentation! Juice everywhere. I had this happen with my first kit which was also an all juice. So I attempted to avoid this.
First I tried to lift the bag out of the bucket before I started. No go. The bag was either too heavy for me to lift or it was stuck inside the bucket. So, I carefully grabbed the cap with my left hand,my de-capper (channel-locks) gripped with the right handand pried off the cap. The cap came off, my holding hand rebounded from the release of the cap and I pushed the bag... thus the volcano. I salvaged all but about two cups. I spent 2 hours cleaning up the mess. The bag, in my opinion is too small and doesn't give enough room to lift the cap off of the wine. I will have to think two or three times before I purchase another all juice with this packaging.

That being said, the juice was at 68 degrees and S.G. was 1.100. I pitched the yeast (Lalvin EC-1118 Saccharomyces bayanus) and the mixed in the betonite. I then placed the cover for the bucket but did not snap down.

This morning the winery is filled with fermentation smells!
smiley1.gif
Later on today, I am putting in the raisins (in a sanitized paint straining bag.)

20090418_082258_P1000417_Small.JPG

Yeasties at work!

I came up with s system for uncapping. I pull the cap up so there is no juice near it. then I use a dinner knife and pry the cap up just a little ways up all the way around. once you get it started it twists off very easily and you won't spill any juice.

rrussell said:
I came up with s system for uncapping. I pull the cap up so there is no juice near it. then I use a dinner knife and pry the cap up just a little ways up all the way around. once you get it started it twists off very easily and you won't spill any juice.

Yes, I thought about that, after the volcano and cleanup.
smiley18.gif

It just seems to me that there should be a better way. Surely the folks at MM have tried to open one of these.

I don't know if the cap is the same size as WE. If so WE has a cap removal tool. Very easy and no spillage

JWMINNESOTA said:
The method that has worked for me, is to lay the bucket over and gently pull the bag out. You can kind of get a idea by looking at this older thread.
http://www.finevinewines.com/wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3137&KW=chardasia&PN=6

The bags are a bit stronger than one would suspect, so far I havent had an issue doing it this way. Easier to grasp tha cap and pull up away from the bag.

So why would I want to do something sensible like "lay the bucket over?" No I would much rather do something non-sensible like spray juice all over the place! Thanks for the tip.

How did your chardasia turn out?

I added the raisins yesterday using a paint straining bag (elastic removed). Today, the SG is 1.070. The initial gravity of this wine was 1.100. If it ferments out to .996, that equals an ABV of 13.8%. What effect do the raisins have on ABV? Surely they add additional sugar which would affect the ABV. I tried searching for a thread that discussed this but couldn't find it.

By the way, the smells are fantastic!
smiley1.gif

The rasins will kick it up just a little. Enjoy as it will taste great in 3-4 years. LOL !

tepe said:
The rasins will kick it up just a little. Enjoy as it will taste great in 3-4 years. LOL !

Yeah this one is my "patience tester." I am going to bulk age for at least a year so that should help some. After that... besides sending it to you so that you can "watch over" it for me
smiley36.gif
, what other methods have you heard to help preserve wine until it is time?

Remember to add 1/4 tsp K-meta every 3 months. Also,

Taste

taste

Taste

If thin body adjust before bottling.

Latest posts

Back