MLF Issues

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longtrain

Reaction score
I have a carboy each of Chilean Malbec and Syrah made from juice. Fermentation went fine and following the move to carboys, MLF was started with WL675 (all my HBWS had on hand), at White Labs recommendation at about 5 Brix. It appeared that MLF took off, small bubbles for a few weeks following the finish of the primary fermentation. The bubbles have decreased significantly and now I am 5 weeks out and activity is extremely light if at all.

I tested with Accuvin and the results show very little change from the high end of the presence of malic acid. The pH is 3.4 and temperature is 74 F.

I have concerns at this point since the wine has not had any sulfites and that the MLF is minimal at best. What are my options to keep this wine on track?

Should I add a ML nutrient or another brand of MLB? Any other guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

Did you do the Accuvin test as a reference point when you first started MLF?
Have the test strip results changed at all since then?

Your best bet is to use a chromatography test next time. It is much easier to read and follow.

If not, maybe add another type of MLB.

Sometimes a good but gentle stir may help. Your temperature and pH are OK. I doubt ABV is an issue, since you are doing a malbec and Syrah.

You're having the same issues that all of us have had with the White Labs MLB. It just doesn't seem to finish, even under ideal conditions. Get yourself some Bacchus MLB and re-inoculate. Be sure to control the temp, etc. so you have good conditions for the MLF.

Latest posts

Back