Newbie looking for guidance in York UK

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foldyard

Junior
Reaction score
Hi, I have been growing vines for a few years and this year decided to make some wine from the grapes. Unfortunately I added too much sugar and had to throw the must away. So instead I bought 100kg of Montepulciano grapes imported from Italy. I have the must in 4x25L plastic buckets and it has been fermenting for a week. The SG has fallen below 1.00 but there are still alot of bubbles appearing whenever I punch down the cap. Should I rack off the wine now into secondary fermentation vessels, or should I wait until the bubbling significantly decreases? All advice appreciated.

The continued off gassing is probably just excess CO2. I would press and put the wine under airlock at this point. Addition gross lees should settle out within a few (to several) days after pressing, at which time you should rack again then let the wine clear and age for a few (to several) months.

The continued off gassing is probably just excess CO2. I would press and put the wine under airlock at this point. Addition gross lees should settle out within a few (to several) days after pressing, at which time you should rack again then let the wine clear and age for a few (to several) months.
Thanks...that makes sense.

Latest posts

Back