Mlf & fso2

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldmack3

Reaction score
Fermentation is almost finished on some fresh juice that comes with 100ppm fso2.
I want to do my first MLF and I know so2 in excess will prevent the mlf but what low level should I look for before starting the mlf?
Thanks all

Under 20 ppm. Fresh juice can come in at 100 ppm Fs02 but by the time primary is finished, the wine should be under 20. Retest! Cheers.

Look at the manufacturers recommended tolerances, it differs a little with each type of MLB.

So I am finding.
I also see a lot of malo bacteria is for "up to 66 gal". Specifically the VP41.
Does that mean you weigh it out and split it for smaller batches? I have 3 - 6 gal and 2 - 12 gal to do.
Thanks

I highly recommend the VP41, and yes, you can weigh out .05 grams and get 5 batches, I do this often. I would get act-ml for the hydration nutrient and Opti-Malo, you will have a nice thriving MLF.
This is the first year that I've use Acti-ML, and I can see a vigorous MLF in the carboys.

I'm always happy to help! If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

I remember seeing on WMT a page that gave the different bacteria and how they effected the outcome.
Can anyone point me to that again? Can't find it now.
I remember I liked what it said the VP41 did but don't remember what the 4007 did.
Thanks

That's it. Thanks

I got out of the habit of using bentonite or any fining agent, except peptic enzyme, when I started bulk ageing for several months. Just let it clear through racking. Now I find this fresh juice has a lot more solids in it and I want to add bentonite after fermentation. But, complete the MLF first?

Last question for now.

Like I said this is my first real fresh juice. But there is a **** load of settling to do in order to get this clear. Look at the pic. The upper 3-4" has settled thus darker. This is 2 weeks unstirred.
This normal for fresh juice? Nebbiolo on right PN on left
Thanks

clearing.jpg

OK

Got my VP41, Opti-Malo Plus and ACTI-ML. Getting ready for my 1st MLF starting tomorrow.
I checked the PH and TA of my Barbera. PH = 3.76; TA I= 14. Checked the TA twice and read it with the PH meter instead of going by color. Seems very high. I've read this is from Malic Acid and and should not be a problem.
I'm surprised the PH is so high.
Should I add Tartaric Acid to bring the PH down some before doing the MLF or just go for it?

Yea I've ot several books and have been trying to get up to speed. This is new for me.
Thanks

Add the optimalo, make sure that you add the act-ml to the hydrating water before the MLB, add the MLB and let it sit for 10 mins, this is going to allow the MLB to reproduce and grow, you are going have a killer MLF!

Back