Missoula Vinyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(clear and 56* today -- but cold nights right around freezing. Two inches of snow last Friday though, and lows to 19* - ouch!)
smiley5.gif

Well, today, I too have a little "oozing" at the site of pruning that took place a couple weeks ago -- but mostly at the larger cuts. Nothing PINK though -- seems all clear -- isn't that what it is supposed to look like?

And, I don't have bud-break, but I think I'm getting bud-fuzz -- is that what the FBI calls a clue to what's coming?
smiley4.gif

I'd post a picture but it wouldn't show much....

Is it spring yet? Is it spring yet......? Is it spring yet.......................................................?????

All vines will drip a bit after pruning before they heal. They should be fine.

appleman said:
Is it spring yet? Is it spring yet......? Is it spring yet.......................................................?????

All vines will drip a bit after pruning before they heal. They should be fine.

Ahhh... THAT's the question EVERYONE is asking!
smiley36.gif

It's definatelyspring here as evidenced by these pictures I recently took around my place. I sure love this time of year

IMG_3187.jpg

IMG_3188.jpg

IMG_3189.jpg

IMG_3190.jpg

IMG_3191.jpg

IMG_3193.jpg

IMG_3200.jpg

IMG_3194.jpg

IMG_3201.jpg

Thanks Waldo....Think all us Northerners needed that.

I did wake up to happy birds today....and, the longer days are inspiring.

I drove home this afternoon from getting measurements through a snowstorm! When I left the house, the snow was building up in the corner of the garage. The wind was blowing 30 mph and the temps were into the low 30's! I appreciate the nice warm pictures of flowers!

We had 3 jobs to do in southern Virginia today......... we worked in the snow all day long.......... @ days ago it was 78 degrees here.

Thursday I'll be planting the garden.......... welcome to the south.

Waldo, love the Southern dogwoods -- the ones in the Sierra are bigger, but not as dense and certainly (imo) aren't as visually stunning in a good year. I take it, it's a "good year!"
smiley36.gif

As far as "spring" -- I think we've got it. Although last Saturday we had 2 inches of new snow! But since, days in the 60's with one at 71 -- and I don't know if I have "bud-break" but I do have bud "fuzz." As I mentioned earlier, there is bud swelling with a whitish fuzz and it's green and brown on the stems where I've rubbed them off. On several of the Foch and Millot there is weeping at the ends of cordons and tips of spurs that were pruned several weeks ago. The Pinot Noir looks as if it is a little behind, but then they are second year -- but they, too, have white "bud fuzz" or bud swelling. So, it's soon! (Better get crackin' on that dern fence! )
smiley36.gif

The cherry tree buds are swelling in Portland, but just down the coast where I live things are still pretty dormant. We are always about two weeks behind the city in the onset of warmer weather (of course Portland gets worse fog.) The vines are oozing at pruning cuts but no signs of bud swell yet. Spring is here though. The snow is gone from all but the deepest spots, crocuses have been blooming for two weeks and daffodils are six inches high, and we are hitting mid-fifties half the time during the day. Ah, and don't forget the mud...

We had "spring" for 3 days last weekend when it got to the 70's with one day hitting 80* for an hour or two. That's according to neighbors since we were with my Able Assistant at college orientation! (We may have missed it!)

The last few days have seen rain and 50's with overnight lows reminding us that in Montana it can freeze whenever it wants! Down into the low 30's the last two nights. The buds continue to swell and get bigger - the edelweiss are farthest along with close inspection showing some larger buds with lines indicating the formation of leaves! Weeping of pruning cuts has stopped. But, SURPRISE! I went to check on the cuttings I had stuck in an old pot in the utility room with a perlight/sand/potting soil mix. When I had pruned them, the cuttings "looked too good" and I hesitated to throw them away, and, as the French say, "VOILA!" The two cuttings with leaves are Marachal Foch. The others are Edelweiss and and Pinot Noir.

20090425_084636_MihalicVines_25.jpg

Don't you love spring? After a week gradually climbing to the low 60's here, currently i at about 2:00 t is 84 on one thermometer in the deep shade and 88.5 on the other in regular shade. Tonight it is cooling down with a high tomorrow of 59. Then 85 on Monday 70 on Tuesday and back to 60 on Wed. Yo have to love it!

It was 80°F here on Thursday...In the early evening the wind shifted to the north and the winds became cold...

It was in the 30's yesterday AM....temp really dropped fast....cold rain.

Today, sunny and bright, but chilly north wind...More rain tomorrow, maybe even snow flakes...

So much for the weather report...

I hear you, NW! Our wx report this morning said we were in for a "...complex and winter-like" system over the next few days that would bring lows in the 30's, highs in the 40's and chance of rain, snow or passing showers of either one!"

Springtime in the Rockies!
smiley36.gif

Friday was a beautiful day here in NW Missouri, high of 90 . Then came severe thunderstorms, then Sat. we had rain and a high of 48.

88 Friday, Saturday dropped from 65-49 through the day, 90 right now and 75 tomorrow, 60 Wed. Everybody is dressing in layers. It started the day today at 45! Dress warm to start and you get down to your Joe Boxers by late in the day!
smiley36.gif

appleman said:
Sounds like you had your spring this past winter and now are in for winter.

Appleman, I think you need to change your screen name to Weatherman!
smiley2.gif

Yesterday -- buds swelling nicely! Nice sun but never got above 48*
20090428_092037_Apr28No3.jpg

Apr28No3.jpg

Then, TODAY! Morning coffee in hand, open the drapes!
20090428_092228_Apr28No1.jpg

This is the SECOND cup! Right now, as I post this we have a half-inch accumulation, 35* Spring time in the Rockies!
smiley36.gif

20090428_092534_Apr28No2.jpg

Back