Missoula Vinyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The buds might dry out in the sun and wind....I just planted some Elderberries that had the buds out and they dried out...hopefully they will bounce back.

With the grapes, unless the leaves are open, they are fine. Usually the primary buds push in the absence of light and you get enlongated shoots. Some of these break off in handling while planting or they may dry up instead of turning green. The secondary buds then take over and grow.

Bring on the pictures Dave.

NW, I'm not sure on the elderberries what will happen.....

NW, as windy as it is, you may be right. We've had a breezy day today! Our humidity was 18 yesterday in the 87-88* range. I "just planted" as Rich suggested. But I also watered so that the heat of the day wouldn't do too much damage.

Here is one of Bilbo's Marachal Foch cuttings from last year. Bill, sad to say, this is one of only three that survived -- only 5 actually rooted.

20080518_201108_BilboMarFoch19M.jpg

The white tab halfway up the vine is the label and just below and just above are some buds that are green and coming along. (That's a cane to the right that held last year's grow tube)

The following is a L. Millot -- they are a little ahead of the others -- you can see some nice growth at the bottom -- they looked like the Foch a week ago. Bill, I think this is one of yours too.
smiley32.gif

20080518_201405_LMillot18May08.jpg

And, the next is one of the Pinot Noirs -- they all have well-developed root systems, and the kind of buds Rich was talking about above -- mostly white with some elongated "canes" and they are fragile. One is clearly visible. While most made it, a few got rubbed off during the transplanting -- even just getting the bunch of 25 untangled was a challenge! (But a good one!
smiley36.gif
)
20080518_201859_PinotNoir18May0.jpg

And, the last pic is one reason why it took so long getting pictures posted. Today was graduation day and daughter Emily is a brand new high school grad -- this is one of about 10,000 pic's we took today, it seems!
smiley2.gif

20080518_202542_EmGradDay.jpg

I suppose I snuck it in on you all, but I knew you'd let a proud Dad share the joy...
smiley4.gif

Don't worry about those buds that rubbed off. I find that the ones that have pushed early like that aren't as nice in the end as buds that grow fresh after you receive them. Good luck with them. I hope they all grow and thrive for you there.
Congratulations to you and your daughter. I'm surprised you were able to take time to plant the vines with a graduation to go to.

Your vines from last year should really take off now that they are starting to grow, especially with the nice gravel mulch around them
smiley36.gif

Hi Dave!
10,000 pictures - man, you are quick on the shutter. And congratulations on seeing a child pass one of many milestones.
I'm sorry to hear of the high mortality rate of east coast wood, but at the same time it is nice to know that something made it. It's too bad the Foch took it on the chin. Mine are looking pretty good, pushing buds enthusiastically, while the Frontenac are surprisingly slow! I don't know what gives with them yet. All others are near budbreak, but nothing green yet. No, I take that back. One of my own St. Pepin cuttings put in last spring has several leaves out down at ground level - I had pruned it down close.
You enjoy out there!
Bill

Down to 37* this morning -- and the picture I took of snow falling around 10 am didn't really show the flakes coming down (so I didn't post it). I think this is why the term "cold-hardy" is used! However, I thought at least you might make out the new snow level on the far mountains -- only about 1000 feet above us. (We are at about 2900 ')

20080610_133908_IMG_4274crop_Sm.jpg

You'll note the vines are pushing out new growth, but just below the 30" catch-wire -- the two in the middle row (behind the posts in the picture) are Edelweiss on the left, and Bill, one of your Leon Millot cuttings from last year doing fine to the right.... In the picture below, you can see in the center row more of the L Millot cuttings that survived.

Below, in the row on the right, the 3 Marachal Foch survivors are at the far end of the row, with this year's (2 weeks in the ground) Pinot Noir vines doing well (in the foreground). Rich, the other PN are in the 3rd row -- to the left, with 7-8 vines left over planted along the far left fence. We'll see if the PN will survive these Montana conditions!

20080610_134317_IMG_4276_Small.JPG

For those who are observant, you can see the extensive deer netting including the extensions on the cedar posts to prevent the Bambi's from jumping into the vinyard. The mylar reflective tape is to give them a visual reference that something is there during their nocturnal ramblings! I've already mended one hole where something went in...or out!
smiley36.gif
(For the really observant, that's our sole rhubarb plant at the bottom of the pic! And, that's not rock "mulch"
smiley2.gif
)

That's our June Update!
smiley4.gif

Your vines are coming along nicely.....considering the extreme conditions and the wildllife.

Guess the weather has been odd everywhere....
My sister-in-law on Vancouver Island B.C says it has been very cold and dreary there.....
Saw snow in the Westerns states on TV yesterday.
Floods in the corn belt.
Appleman and others in the east are sweltering in the heat.
We have been cooler than usual in the upper midwest.

Guess no matter what our complaints....someone always seems worse off.

Thanks for the post update Dave. I can't wait to see the progress with in July. I had typed in a nice long reply, but I temporarily lost the connection and lost my reply.

Thanks for your pics Dave! I'll bet that in a week you will be inclined to post again because you will be sweltering instead of chilly (hopefully not even colder). Are you thinking of spraying for disease control, or is it not a real concern in your dry climate?

Thanks, NW, Appleman and Bilbo!
smiley36.gif

Yes, "weather" is a constant, isn't it? (Constantly changing!)

I couldn't wait a week, Bill. About the time you were posting this morning, we were getting more snow -- no accumulation at our level, but -- literally -- two blocks up the street, the ground was white!

The snow can't be clearly seen here -- as much rain as with the flakes coming down... But, you can see accumulation on the top of the posts, and there is some in the grass -- in fact those are my footsteps to insure the little darlin's were still above freezing! (It was 34.5*)
20080611_173900_IMG_4284_Small.JPG

Here is a closer look, with the streaks of snow clouding the picture -- my automatic digital just couldn't "stop the action" to actually show the flakes.
20080611_174319_IMG_4285TRIM_Sm.jpg

I think I'll dust with some sulfur -- but just guessing at this point. The French American hybrids you've given me, Bill, and some of the ones from the local vinyard (Ten Spoons) have some resistance. But, the Pinot Noirs were bare root and from cuttings, I'm sure -- no graft union. They are a Martini clone from Washington State, but I have no idea what resistance they might have. I'll have to visit with the Ten Spoons folks and maybe even do some research to figure out the best strategy. But ain't it fun???
smiley2.gif

I DO think that there will be a world of difference in the next few weeks. It is supposed to be in the upper 70's by the weekend, with 80's early next week. THAT will push the growth! Now I'll have to do a little work on removing some of the bushy growth pushing up from the bottom of some of the plants. In fact, if any of you have some suggestions in that regard, I'm open to them -- most pruning info is about dormant pruning for older, established plants -- not those brand new, and... even some from last year are pushing from ground level, although most are coming from the "trunk" left over from last year.
smiley4.gif

Dave

Dave if you do them when the shoots are still young, say 6-12 inches, they just break out of their sockets and then don't grow back. If you cut them off, they grow back next year from buds, sometimes even this year. If done while real young, like raised buds to budburst- you just take a leather glove on your hand and run it up and down the vine to clean the trunk of growth. Have fun. Try something new out and if it works well, keep doing it, if not, learn from it and don't repeat. Have fun!

By the way, you really should keep the snow- we had enough earlier to last the year out!

That is what I've been doing as part of the "training" of the new vines -- and trying to keep only two "trunks" for their first year. As for the snow, it looks pretty around the hills -- in the SUN we have today!
smiley36.gif

And, we added to the snowpack substantially, which will help later during the fire season.

They're baaaaack!! Those pesky Japanese beetles have returned! I just got done spraying but like last year, I'm thinking that it won't do me a whole lot of good!
smiley19.gif

Appleman, do they go after apple trees? If so, do you spray or even worry about them?

You keep those beetles there Joan! I actually saw two on Saturday, but haven't seen any more yet. Fingers Crossed. The apple trees get sprayed on a routine so I generally don't have any on them.

Joan said:
What are you spraying on your apples that keeps them off?

Sometimes I use Sevin(Carbaryl 4L) and sometimes I use Imidan(Restricted use insecticide requiring a Pesticide Applicator License). I'm not even sure if Japanese Beetles feed on apple trees- I have never seen them there- they are too busy eating grapes next to the apples. I generally don't use an insecticide after August first since harvest begins about September first.

NW and Appleman, I sure wish I had some of that wild, rangy growth!

My vines are acting this year just like first year vines -- here is a picture of one part of the vinyard from my deck, showing the extensions on the fence posts I put up to hang netting. The whole vinyard (about 12x50') has been surrounded by deer netting since the snow melted. If you look close, you can make it out against the lighter colored rails.

20080712_131059_IMG_4435crop1_S.jpg

If you're wondering where the vines are -- you'll have to look real close! And, if you already haven't seen them, this is why I have 9 out of 36 vines with mostly stems and only a leaf or two here and there!

20080712_131426_IMG_4435crop2_S.jpg

But, that's what happens when the "mower" doesn't quite get the netting fastened down after mowing/trimming!
smiley19.gif
It only takes one lapse and one night!

Here is the other part of the "vinyard" ( -- I can call it that because it was part of the yard!)
smiley2.gif
The foreground is a couple of this year's Pinot Noir that were part of 25 bare-root vines planted. The one's on the right are second-year cuttings from Bill's Marachal Foch. The best are the second row: Leon Millot

20080712_132941_IMG_4437_Small.JPG

And the third row, which can't be seen, are interspersed between my wife's iris'. And Bill, I took your advice and planted about 9 of the remaining PN against the back fence -- it was either that or try to give 'em away. We'll see what happens with them!
smiley36.gif

Nice lawn ornaments Dave! I spotted those first thing I looked at the picture. They are easier to see than the grapes in that first picture! I hope some day that the vines can get ahead of those grazers! Best of luck Dave.

I would have them suckers a smoking on my grill Oil while I sat there and watched my grapes a growing

cool that you have something like iris's in between the rows to make use of the space....last year i let my wife plant 250 garlic bulbs ( some are the elephant type) inbetweeb the vines in one row.....it has worked out very well and many of the sprays i use are suitable for the garlic

Latest posts

Back