missed the fine print(add oak)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris889671

Reaction score
my merlot kit has a note i missed, add oak powder in primary fermenter. is it too late. should i add it now its only been 4 days and it says not to stir the yeast or can i add it when i rack it. its a 28 day kit

That's way I started making my own list on the steps to follow (in point form with additional notes). Dosen't answer your question, I'll leave it to those that know.

I would go ahead and add it now. Also, regarding not stirring the yeast, that instruction is just for the initial pitching. After fermentation starts, you need to stir the wine regularly to re-suspend the yeast and get some air into it to aid the yeast. You are okay, don't worry. Is there any other oak to be added down the road?

Yep, add it now and dont be afraid to let the wine sit a an extra few days in primary, just make sure you have the airlock on.

its been 4 days since I pitched the yeast. the oak only gets added at the beginning according to the directions. I'll get it in and stir it right away. I guess the directions aren't for beginners. thanks for all the help.

Latest posts

Back