Minnesota grape ?'s

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calvin

Reaction score
I found some king of the north and prairie star frozen grape juice buckets for sale. I was curios if these grapes make good wine? Anyone on here try these?

Here's what the U of M says about the prairie star:
Also known by the synonym name ES 3-24-7. Is a cross between ES 2-7-13 and ES 2-8-1. Developed by Elmer Swenson in 1980 and released around 1994. Harsh-cold (to -40 deg. F) tolerant, this variety is quite disease resistant other than a susceptibility to easily controllable Anthracnose. Reported as capable of making a neutral varietal wine in most years it is currently used to add body and finish to such other white wines as Louise Swenson.

King of the north is listed by the U of M as an eating grape. Here's what they say about it:

Extremely hardy blue Labrusca grape hardy to about -37F. Ripens mid to late September. Very vigorous vine, able to bear heavily. Also a good Labrusca style wine grape. Good flavor as a table grape and makes a delicious red grape juice. Notably susceptible to downy mildew. Produces tight clusters of sweet fruit good for fresh eating and juice. An incredibly vigorous grower, producing 5-6 times more growth per year than any other in this climate. Establishes quickly; fruits at a young age.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Prairie Star can make an excellent wine and is not necessarily a neutral one. If picked before it gets too ripe so it has a bit of acid left to it, it can also have some nice flavors. It grows well here despite a couple cultural shortcomings and many who try wine from it are pleasantly surprised.

You are on your own with King of the North. It tends to be somewhat like Concord.

Thanks grape man. Maybe I'll try some of the prairie star. I would like to try some zone 4 grapes. I plan on moving out of this neighborhood and onto at least 10 ac. in the next couple years. Hopefull plant some grapes there

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

We have done King of the North the last several years. It is very much like Concord. I like to sweeten it up at the end for an easy drinker.

King of the north is usually pretty high in acid. I made some in 2012. Sweetened up it can be better than welch's! My king of the north won a gold medal at the AWS competition last November.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Latest posts

Back