Other Mid range kit suggestions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see nothing wrong with 10L kits, especially starting out. I have 4 carboys full of them right now. I don't consider it as tying up my carboys are wasting my time. This is supposed to be fun and it is supposed to produce the kind of wine the maker desires. I don't think that most of the people making kit wines are looking at them as an investment. It is a hobby. Have fun.

So I want to make this a funny hobby and hope to build and enjoy a cellar full of wine and once I have a cellar full of good aged wines I will probably no longer make the 12l kits but as for now they serve a purpose to help me not drink the wine that's ageing for a longer period. So is there any specific kit from a specific brand that you guys have really enjoyed?

So I want to make this a funny hobby and hope to build and enjoy a cellar full of wine and once I have a cellar full of good aged wines I will probably no longer make the 12l kits but as for now they serve a purpose to help me not drink the wine that's ageing for a longer period. So is there any specific kit from a specific brand that you guys have really enjoyed?

Yes, back to your original question. World Vineyard Aussie gsm is a current favorite. Also Vinifera Noble Amarone (with tweaks). These give you a light to medium body red that is quite enjoyable. Make what you want to drink and you will always enjoy the hobby.

Drock,

I'm a total newb, but I think I'm following a similar path to yours. I just started my third kit last night, bottled my first 2 nights ago. But I couldn't help myself and I tasted my second kit when I racket it to bulk the other night. It was almost drinkable out of the secondary.

WineXpert's World Vineyard (10 L kits) Trinity Red. It has every indication of being a quick to drink winner. My guy at the LHBS said it was the best value out there, and they have the entire WE line in stock, and the CC as well.

Here is a link from Wine Maker magazine http://winemakermag.com/550-picking-the-right-kit-wine-kits where Tim Vandergrift talks about how a a variety of kits can fulfill the needs of the winemaker, and how the different sizes affects maturation rate and shelf life.

Enjoy, Fran

I've made only WE but I've thoroughly enjoyed every Cheeky Monkey and CC that has been passed on down to me!! Which has been numerous over the last year...a buddy and his wife started into the hobby...that's all they make...we trade bottles :D

That said...since I've started this hobby over 4 years ago...I've made close to 50% of the World Vineyard kits and almost the same in the Vintners...along with more than a dozen Selection\Limited releases...I've enjoyed every single kit I've made...

The Trinity Red as stated is very nice...I'm having the Trinity White as I'm writing this...wonderful blend for sure!!

Same with the GSM...along with the Coastal Red...Sangiovese...Tempranillo (superb)...Valpolicella...followed by the Vieux Chateau du Roi...

The Diablo Rojo I can comment on in a couple of weeks...the mix was super tasty and the flavor pack my wife even liked!! And she's not a wine drinker...I make beer for her!!

I have not tried any Luna kits but the Luna Rossa will be a Christmas build!! It's supposed to be a Rippaso and I very much like that...the new Enigma also thrills my senses too...if the Rojo turns out then it'll be added in queue LOL!!!

In all my builds I've found that I have a tendency to be old world rather than new world...and that's something you will find with time...discover what you like and build from there...

That said...the California Zinfandel/Shiraz is on tap believe it or not!!

Next is the Ángel Blanco...so on and so forth...

10L\12L will always have a place with me...I will continue making and enjoying them...sometimes more than once!!! There is some gems in there!!

If you want something you can drink early, you might want to consider a WE Island Mist kit or a RJS Orchard Breezin kit. These are 4 week kits that can be consumed immediately after bottling but they are better if you wait a month. We have enough of a cellar built up now that we age them at least 3 month.

Our favorites are:
1) White Cranberry Pino Gris. We won a bronze at this year's Wine Maker Mag annual competition with this kit. It was only the 6th kit we made.
2) Exotic Fruit White Zin
3) Strawberry White Merlot

These are something of a cross between a wine and a wine cooler but much better that commercial wine coolers. These are low ABV kits (about 6.5%). Most people add a little more sugar before fermenting to raise the SG. Some people add 4-6 lbs. We usually add about 2 lbs. It give it a little more kick and a little more body but still has a low enough ABV that you can drink more that one on a hot afternoon.

We alternate between making high end kits and Island Mist kits so that we always have plenty to drink while we wait for the high end kits to age.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Drock,
elmer AND sideways2 are correct. Every year I do a few favorite $90-$100 kits. Namely the WE Montepulciano and the RJS Cru Select Brunello. I catch them on sale and both are 16ltr kits. As elmer says i'd go for the 15 and 16 ltr kits many of which can be found for about $100.00. If price is more of an issue sideways is absolutely correct in that with some research (on this forum) you can find 10 and 12 ltr kits that you can be happy with. Drock, check out this thread for more information on price vs quality in Mosti wine kits.

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f84/masters-edition-versus-megioli-kits-45202/

Last edited:
Ok, so on this topic, I am starting a Showcase Amarone today and I have a GCI Italian Nebiolo on deck and was thinking - maybe add the nebiolo to the gross lees from the Amarone and try a 'nebiolo ripassa'. On the surface, it seems to have merit but I may be missing something (always a possibility). What do you think?

I wouldn't. If you are keeping the grape pack in a brew bag that would be okay. But don't reuse the dead yeast and such that will be in the bottom of the he ferminter. Even with the grape pack, there's really nothing of value left.

Here is a kit for you mid range kit makers :
Cheeky Monkey nebbiolo barbera
From Vineco website :
*LIMITED RELEASE* - Red Zeppelin

Sweetness: Dry Alcohol: 13% Oak: Yes Body: Full
This headliner red rocks ripe red berry flavours and tart cherry tang, balancing it out with harmonious earthy floral notes, and fresh acidity. Moderate tannins back it all up like a bumpin’ bassline. The juicy cherry aroma is highlighted with the subtle scent of tar and roses. It’s okay. Get your lighter out and put your arm in the air. This wine is worthy.
:b

Depends on what you like to drink. As folks posted, whites are much easier to make with a smaller volume kit and drink early; I made the South African Chenin blanc and the hubby and I drank most of it before I got the foils on. For reds, I agree that the blends in midrange kits are good at as little as a few months. However, red varietals, especially those in higher end kits, deserve and require time to age and drinking early would be like eating unripe apples, you can do it but they haven't reached their full potential. There are lighter reds that are intended for early drinking such as Beaujolais and also the orchard breezin types.

Have fun!!

Heather

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Makin

Back