MEAD!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promo0

Junior
Reaction score
I'd like to do my first batch, however, I'm having trouble getting info on mead recipes. For instance, some recipes don't have SG levels for when to start secondary fermentation or not enough info on final alcohol content. I saw the two recipes on this site, not enough info for me. I guess I need Mead for dummies!

Thanks!

The Viking Wench and I can certainly can help you get started making a mead. First I have a few questions:
<UL>
<LI>What type of mead would you like to make?
<LI>Do you want it to finish dry, semi-sweet or sweet?
<LI>What type of honey do you plan on using?</LI>[/list]

If you haven't already read the featured article I wrotefor October's Newsletter on making mead please do that.

http://www.finevinewines.com/October_2005.htm

promo0 said:
I'd like to do my first batch, however, I'm having trouble getting info on mead recipes. For instance, some recipes don't have SG levels for when to start secondary fermentation or not enough info on final alcohol content. I saw the two recipes on this site, not enough info for me. I guess I need Mead for dummies!

Thanks!

You meant to say, "when to rack to the secondary fermentation vessel". A great big part of winemaking is knowing and understandingwords, terms and phrasesassociated with winemaking. By reading a few good winemaking books, you will have a better understanding. I hope this helps.

If you mean me, no, I am not kidding. Am I coming on a little too strongly? I have a tendency to do that. If you are offended, I am sorry. The purpose of a winemaking forum is for all of us to learn and teach each other through our collective experiences. Right?

Now, if you already knew what a secondary fermentation is, I should tell you that a secondary fermentation, bacterial or otherwise, is not purposefully done in meadmaking.

Seriously!

smiley4.gif

Like I said, I don'tknow mead. But secondary fermentation is a correct description for wine.

However,Ifound this: "In Finland a sweet mead called Sima (cognate with zymurgy), is still an essential seasonal brew connected with the Finnish Vappu festival. It is usually spiced by adding both the flesh and rind of a lemon. During secondary fermentation raisins are added to control the amount of sugars and to act as an indicator of readiness for consumption — they will rise to the top of the bottle when the drink is ready."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mead

Don't tell me that the wiki is wrong! Nooooooo!
smiley19.gif
Edited by: promo0

Masta,

Thanks for the link. Will the Viking Wench come over to my house to help? She's looking rather.....horny.
smiley36.gif

Has anyone ever used Papazian's recipes for mead? They seem like good recipes for a newbie like me.

Thanks,

Promo

Sorry Promo but the Viking Wench is loyal to only one masta!

Where are Charlie's recipes?

Thanks Peter...I also have found the Mead Calculator very helpful when designing a batch of mead or wine. It came in very handy when making my Fall Bounty Cyser since I was starting with apple Cider and not water and needed to calculate how much honey I would need to add to reach a targeted SG.

All these links can be found on this thread:

http://www.finevinewines.com/Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1 52&amp;PN=1

Masta,

Thanks for the info. I got Papazian's recipes out of Joy of Homebrewing.

Thanks,

Promo

promo0 said:
Like I said, I don'tknow mead. But secondary fermentation is a correct description for wine.

However,Ifound this: "In Finland a sweet mead called Sima (cognate with zymurgy), is still an essential seasonal brew connected with the Finnish Vappu festival. It is usually spiced by adding both the flesh and rind of a lemon. During secondary fermentation raisins are added to control the amount of sugars and to act as an indicator of readiness for consumption — they will rise to the top of the bottle when the drink is ready."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mead

Don't tell me that the wiki is wrong! Nooooooo!
smiley19.gif

promo, yes I am afraid the wiki iswrong. A secondary fermentation is a fermentation secondary to the original fermentation which was started in the must. If all you do is rack to a secondary fermentation vessel, you still only have the original fermentation. Another fermentation does not start. Examples of secondary fermentations would be a Malolactic bacteria fermentation, purposeful or otherwise, and another yeast fermentation started to take up where the first left off after it succumbed to alcohol toxicity. The 2nd being more tolerant.

Does this make sense?

No, it doesn't make sense, because I've essentially done the same thing with my wine. Both of my Winexpert kits refer to the first racking after the primary, as the secondary fermintation. Is Winexpert wrong too? Isn't meadjust honey wine? Is this just semantics?
smiley5.gif

Look at this page

http://www.winedefinitions.com/learningcenter/articles/secon daryfermentation.htm

Or what about here, is he an expert?

http://www.finevinewines.com/Home-Wine-Making-Tutorial-Step- 5.htm

and this one is from the fabulous meat people at Hormel, why they're talking about wine, I don't want to know

http://www.hormel.com/kitchen/glossary.asp?id=36862&amp;cati temid=

Could it possibly be that both definitions for secondary fermentation are correct?Edited by: promo0

I am sorry you disagree with me. I have 1 more thang to say, then I am done with it.

If you pitch yeast to start a fermentation in your must, and you do not induce another bacterial or yeast fermentation, and your SO2is kept at an aseptic level, you will only ever have that 1 fermentation. There will not be a secondary fermentation. You are confusing secondary fermentation with secondary fermentation vessel.

'nuff said. I am done with this one.

smiley33.gif

I'm confusing it? What about winexpert and this website? Are they confused too? So the whole world is confusing this, but you're not? Find me another source that verifies your position. I wonder why Masta won't chime in on this one? I hate being called wrong, or confused,when I can back up my statements by professionals. Most people don't appreciate condescension.

Guys, how about both of you using the term "secondary stage" of fermentation?

I'll buy that. Why is it called the secondary fermentor? Because primary fermentation takes place there? Nope. Because secondary fermentation takes place there, either part II of the primary (or the 2nd stage of fermentation), or a new yeast is introduced during that process.Why is it moved to the secondary fermentor?Toreduce exposure toO2! Are we both right? I think hippie would still say no.
smiley7.gif

Could winexpert be wrong?

promo0 you need to chill dude this is just simply two different points of view and on this one I will have to side with hippie they are talking about the vessel not the act of starting a second fermentation.

I don't back down when I know I'm right.

"In reference to wine making, 'secondary fermentation' is a fermentation process occurring after primary fermentation. Following primary fermentation, the wine is racked to a secondary fermentation vessel, capped, and air locked. The wine is then allowed to ferment for several months. When the desired amount of sugar has converted to alcohol, the secondary fermentation is complete."

Hippie started this battle of the vintner vernacular.
smiley24.gif

promo0 said:
I'll buy that. Why is it called the secondary fermenter? Because primary fermentation takes place there? Nope. Because secondary fermentation takes place there, either part II of the primary (or the 2nd stage of fermentation), or a new yeast is introduced during that process.Why is it moved to the secondary fermenter?Toreduce exposure toO2! Are we both right? I think hippie would still say no.
smiley7.gif

Could winexpert be wrong?

Easy Guys Please, there is no need to get thisworked up over this. I agree is not another completely different fermentation no matter how many vessels you move it in and out of. There is a difference between a primary and secondary fermentation as written by Winexpert and as noted by promo in regards to the exposure to oxygen in the primary.

The main thing here is that you understand the difference between a fermentation in the primary vessel and why it is moved to the secondary vessel.

Lets all chill and respect others opinions over which word to use.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back