Maybe stuck fermentation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumjump

Reaction score
I transferred 2 batches of wine off the fermentation buckets to the Carboys. I had a small bottle out of each left over. So I put airlocks on them but I don't see any action going on at all on either bottle. The bottles are about 3 inches from the top. This was done 8/11. I transferred when the SG was 1.005. Both carboy's are doing great. My question is should I just leave them or put them in the fridge for topping off.

Last edited:
You either didnt transfer any of the yest into those bottles or they just finished very fast being very small amount.

When I transfer from the primary I try to bring everything over into a wine bottle or two as you did. This gives you the opportunity to rack off every bit of wine when you are ready to stabilize. When racking to the secondary don't ever worry about carrying over any of the lees. They still contain necessary yeast as Wade stated.

Its one reason why I ferment to dry in primary so that I dont have to worry about leaving viable yeast behind and so that Im not carrying over sediment needlessly. Its just one less racking thus lessening the exposure to 02. Just seal the lid and use an airlock when sg reaches 1.020. The C02 will blanket the wine protecting it.

I racked it because I needed the lees to make my Skeeter Pee. But I'm going to leave the do that with the Skeeter in the primary.

I know but maybe next time let it fisnish making th first wine before you steal it and caus a problem with the first wine. It will still work even if its done fermenting the first batch and looks lifeless, trust me.

I didn't know I could do that Wade. Thanks. So I'm thinking it is ok to leave the extra in the bottles to clear. I thought I might have to put in the fridge.

Back