May 2016 WOTM Club

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I kept seeing this thread and I kept saying to myself -WOW Jericurl got the Women Of The Month again !
Took me another couple of minutes to figure it was WINE.

But if it was Women - I'm sure you would win

preening

I am going to be sure and mention this to Manthing. I'll report back and let you know if he starts choking because he is laughing so hard.

Second-run on skins is going to be a theme for me this year.

Last year I made a first-run batch of blueberry, and then a second run hibiscus-blueberry using the blueberry skins. At this point the second-run is better than the original. My second run elderberry at 1 year is my wife's new favorite wine.

So this year I'm going to try second run wines using combinations of blueberry, elderberry, blackberry, maybe others.

I do second run on elderberry and boy is it good, actually I buy niagara from Homewinery, it is cheap. I make that and add my second run berries to it. I have done this with muscadine grapes as well.

So those of you that make second run wines....how do you do it?

I assume you scoop the skins out separate from the gross lees, then press the skins.
Do you have to then rinse them before you freeze?
Is yeast from that batch a concern when you add it to your 2nd run batch?

I don't rinse and normally just make it right away.

Initial run is all free run only -

Then I determine how much of 1 st run in gallons is (say 10 gallons )

Then I divide by 1/2 of the liquid - and add sugar water(5 gallons ) to the approx value of calculated alcohol desired and no yeast is needed as there is already yeast that is still active.

Then press at the end of this stage - you should turn out with some great 2nd pressings !!

So those of you that make second run wines....how do you do it?

I assume you scoop the skins out separate from the gross lees, then press the skins.
Do you have to then rinse them before you freeze?
Is yeast from that batch a concern when you add it to your 2nd run batch?

I don't rinse, but I have done it both ways, with free run only, and with the pressed fruit.

My general guideline has been that I double the skins on the second run. That is to say, I use the skins on 6 gal of elderberry for 3 gal of second run elderberry rosé; I use the skins from a 2 gal batch of blueberry for a 1 gal batch of second run blueberry.

I always freeze the skins. I'm generally not ready to start that second run right away. I've never identified an issue with the yeast, but I always drop a fresh packet of yeast in that second run batch. I've never relied on the original yeast.

I do it like vacuum pump man with skins from a kit or elderberries. But I have also pressed some also after the first fermentation and then reused the cake of pressed skins and adding enough water to get half of the volume of liquid that I got from the first batch.

Update on my black tea wine

I racked it again today and checked the SG. 0.99. All activity seems to have stopped and I'm ok with this level so I k-Meta to kill any chance of re-fermentation.

I'm giving it a day or two before I sorbate and sparkolloid it.

I've never made wine with welches white grape juice... Is it normal for the wine to taste super sweet even though it's practically dry at the moment??

Ok, bochet has been in secondary for a couple of weeks now. So far so good. It tastes pretty amazing.

It was racked from primary into secondary, then the can of puree was added. After a couple of weeks, I racked it again.
So far, man, it is a ton of lees. I will probably end up with about 4 bottles of this one, but I'm already planning a larger batch of it.

I added 1 oz of oak cubes to the elderberry but left a couple of bottles without for comparison. I read cubes take anywhere from 2 months to a year to give up what they have. So, I just learned it is possible to reuse the cubes. Hadn't considered that before.

I added 1 oz of oak cubes to the elderberry but left a couple of bottles without for comparison. I read cubes take anywhere from 2 months to a year to give up what they have. So, I just learned it is possible to reuse the cubes. Hadn't considered that before.

Yes, I reuse my cubes. I'm not a huge fan of a heavy oak taste so I rinse mine off, let them sit on some vodka for a bit, then let them dry out completely.

Also, I would try that wine long before 2 months. Again, I'm not a huge fan so I tend to not let mine sit near that long and I get noticeable oak flavor.

I read somewhere that you should keep the cubes in wine from start to the end of their "life expectancy." I will always act on any suggestion to sampling!

Ok, so I kinda forgot about this thread but I had racked mid September and tasted today and it's come a long way. The ginger has mellowed somewhat and the smell is great. I might consider taking a bottle for the family for thanksgiving.

Latest posts

Back