Manischewitz for topping off?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MilesDavis

Reaction score
Ok, just how awful is manischewitz? Is gonna ruin my 5 gallon batch of blackberry if I use it for topping off?
Maybe a jammy red would be better?

I'd bulk age in 1 gallon carboys or add marbles before I topped a blackberry off with anything other than another blackberry.

Manischewitz is blackberry. I've just heard that it's not good. Guess I may just have to try some.

I wouldnt do it.

A little research shows that that particular company often uses corn syrup as a sweetener... Not something I'd want in my homemade wine

I would buy a few pounds of blackberrys and make a simple syrup and top of with that...it may lower the abv a little...if you have added sorbate/etc.
if not you can add the blackberrys with out sugar, just reduce it now to make an extract.

Conr syrup? Uuugg! That answers that question, thanks.
I do have a gallon bag full of berries set aside in the freezer for an f-pac, and will probably pick another gallon next week. But I didn't think I wanted to add that until after stabilization. If it ferments to .992, I should have 14.4% ABV, I'd like to finish around 12.5%-13% after the f-pac. I haven't done the math on that yet, not sure what of my starting 5 gallons I'm going to have left after subsequent rackings.

I dont drink Manischewitz on the sabbath, passover or rosh hashanah
So why use it to top off?

then again, it is Kosher!!!!!

I topped my blackberry off with pinot noir of really decent quality.. Honestly though I don't think the flavor changed much, but that's a GOOD thing. I wouldn't top off with anything I wouldn't drink for fear that the flavor might.

Back