Malolatic Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amadago

Junior
Reaction score
I usually do the malolactic fermentation to my wine, but like an idiot forgot until now. It's about 3 weeks in, is it too late and/or should I worry about doing it?

Mike

Need a little more information: 1) What kind of wine is it? 2) Is it still actively fermenting or is it dry? 3) Have you racked it off the gross lees? 4) What is the SO2 level?

If it is wine from grapes (not a kit), has completed alcoholic fermentation, and the sulfite level is low enough then I don't see any reason why you couldn't start MLF.

Thanks for the quick feedback. I have to check the stats when I get home to see the SO2 levels, but here's the other details:
1. I have Cabs, Merlots and a Malbec
2. They're all from grapes
3. Most are done fermenting
4. Not all are off the lees yet

Thanks for the quick feedback. I have to check the stats when I get home to see the SO2 levels, but here's the other details:
1. I have Cabs, Merlots and a Malbec
2. They're all from grapes
3. Most are done fermenting
4. Not all are off the lees yet

This is how I do it:

At completion of alcoholic fermentation rack off gross lees, then add oak cubes, malolactic nutrient (I use Opti-Malo Plus), and the MLB culture. Make sure your carboy is in a relatively warm space (~72 degrees) and you should see activity relatively quickly. Get a chromatography kit if you don't already have one, it will probably be at least four weeks before you need to test for completion.

I have a question, can you add in oak spirals after MLF has begun? I just started MLF one week ago, to that what about adding tannin?

Thanks,

Steve

I have a question, can you add in oak spirals after MLF has begun? I just started MLF one week ago, to that what about adding tannin?

Thanks,

Steve

May even be beneficial. MoreWine's Guide to Red Winemaking says the little crevices in the wood are an ideal habitat for the MLF bacteria...

Oak spirals are in, 2 each Montepulciano, and the two Cab carboys.

I did have to pull some wine out of each for the spirals to fit. Enjoyed every last drop of it too!! :h

Thanks,

Steve

Latest posts

Back