Malactic fermentation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Port

Reaction score
I made a batch of cherry wine in the end of November and ended up with two 1 gallon jugs. It fermented to dry in a couple weeks and has been racked once, I racked it againlast week and one of the two jugs has started bubbling again. Temp has been consistent and I have done nothing other then rack. Is it possible that I am getting malactic fermentation? If so, why only in one and not the other? <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>Edited by: Big Port

Sounds like it could be. Let it sit for a while, but it also could be CO2 coming out of suspension.

Big Port,

On this page of Jack's http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/acid.aspyou can see at the bottom that Malic is the dominant acid in cherries so quite likely it is MLF happening. In transfering the wines you picked up some malolactic bacteria in one jug and not in the other and once the waterlocks were in place they were both isolated from one another. Let them finish out and see what the difference in the taste profiles is. Maybe from now on you will want to purposely innoculate your cherry wines with a commercial ML bacteria ...... maybe not. Time will tell.Edited by: Curt

Good info Curt, Thanks! This may turn out to be a great experiment.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Latest posts

Back