Made My Way To The Wine Making Mecca!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, always, always add 1/2. That pH will drift up with fermentation and MLF so don't worry.

I have been testing all day and just got done with the first round (pH, TA, SG) and a couple of retest as some were very different than the others. Looks like I will be adding some acidified H2O on two batches due to high pH and a brix of 27.5!

Man, I didn't realize how much variation you can get from the juice to a blended mixture. For my first time I am learning a ton about this process. I tested juice only and found a low PH and a High TA but then I took a mixture and added it to a blender (per instructions) and re-tested, after that the PH and TA were right in line.

I got the yeast pitched ... about 4 hours of testing and mixing. But it's all good, I'm having a blast.

Which grapes were 27.5 ?

Petit Verdot and one of the cans of Merlot. Tested the Merlot twice with consistent results. The other Merlot was close to your numbers. Could have come from another vineyard I guess. Added 2.5L of water with 15 gms Tartaric and all seems well now.

after 10 hours all three buckets show signs of fermentation starting. I guess I'm doing something right.

87f85344.jpg

Will make final tweaks today and pitch tonight. I moved them all into the house until I press. Supposed to get two cold fronts this week and temps will drop 15-20 degrees by the weekend. I may be pressing in some cold weather in a week or so. Hope it warms back up by then. Nice for one more day.

Well I have now punched my first cap. It was a little one only about 3/4 of an inch but it was cool. All three buckets doing great. I think I will wait till tomorrow to toss in the Fremaid-K for the first feeding.

A quick little video of my [ame="http://youtu.be/l37TvFbL8M4"]Cap Punch[/ame] this morning.

Looking good, I finally got by yeast pitched yesterday morning. All 7 brutes were humming along nicely by last night. Must temps are still a little cool so have had some space heaters going on and off trying to warm them up closer to 70. Punched down this AM. Should be really rocking by tonight.

What are you using for a punch down tool! :)

Check the Brix on all 3 last night and it's coming down fast in spite of the cool temperatures in the garage. They were 14.5,15 and 16 Brix ... looks like it's time for the second yeast feeding tonight.

Back