Lowest possible SG?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcteague

Reaction score
I am fermenting a port-like wine, small batch. Recipe is my own, a combination of banana and fig. Original gravity was just at 1.10 when I pitched my yeast - after 8 days with EC1118, its down to 1.0094. I've not see a gravity drop this low. Fermentation has been pretty strong the whole week - does this pass the logic test - is it possible? I've added some more sugars since this is a port-like wine, but I'm now questioning if my original gravity could have been correct.

I'm not sure what you mean by low. A dry wine when all the sugar is gone is below 1.000 so you still have sugar in there. And 1.100 is not terribly high to start with. Everything seems fine to me.

I'm not sure what you mean by low. A dry wine when all the sugar is gone is below 1.000 so you still have sugar in there. And 1.100 is not terribly high to start with. Everything seems fine to me.

You just made me realize I was reading the hydrometer wrong. It is below 1, its actually 0.94, not 1.0094.

I think you're still off. Take a good look at the numbers on the hydrometer before you drop it in. My guess is that you're at 0.994.

A drop from 1.100 to 0.994 is about 14% alcohol. It's well within the range of EC-1118. These are normal numbers for a wine.

I'm sure its .994. That's quite normal. Those things are hard to read. Lowest I've got is .993. Most of mine stop at about .995 or .996.

Last edited:
Can't possibly be .094, as pure ethanol is only .787. .094 would be so thin and light that it couldn't possibly stay in liquid form.

It must be .994

Its 1 tick up from .90, so I'm assuming that's .92? Then I did a temp calibration since it was at 78 degrees.

As Jeff said the alcohol level at this point is at about 14% with that drop in sugar. EC1118 is a strong yeast that can ferment to at least 18%. So don't be surprised if the sugar you added starts to take off again. What is your goal with this? Are you looking for a sweet high alcohol wine in the end?

I hope you measured the gravity after you added sugar. You can calculate the added sugar and expected alcohol after it has been fermented out. You could keep feeding it a little bit of sugar until it naturally stops - reaches a high enough alcohol to prevent the yeast from fermenting. That would leave it a little bit sweet if you add small amounts and wait.

Its a port style wine, so alcohol should be up around 20% in the end. Rather than rely on fortification though, I'll run the yeast out to the end, then fortify from there, then back-sweeten to get the dessert style I'm shooting for. Sounds like things are okay - just hadn't seen such a low gravity before - thought they typically stopped around .98 or so.

Like Tony's, most of mine have ended between 0.994 and 0.996, but the lowest so far was 0.992. So you should be fine. On a side note, you mentioned calibration earlier, but I think that you meant corrected the SG for temperature. Have you calibrated your hydrometer to make sure that it is providing the correct reading? Both of my current hydrometers are off by about 0.003. I wouldn't have thought that I would have two off like this, especially since my first two were just about spot on, but it just shows that you should check

So you're adding more sugar at this point, right? A pound of sugar per gallon would add 6% alcohol to get you to 20%. You might split that into a few additions since you're going past the normal tolerance of the yeast. Get a few stronger yeasties going to handle the higher levels.

I've never tried this method though, so anyone should feel free to correct me if I'm off.

Yes, I'll be adding additional sugars in small batches to continue fermentation until the alcohol gives up or gets killed by alcohol levels. I don't think they'll live much past 16-17%.

So you're right - it was .992, and after raising the SG back up to 1.012, its again dropped to .992, so I've added a bit more sugar and its back up to 1.01 now - this will be the last sugar addition. I'll let it go dry from here, then fortify with a small bit of banana liquor, back-sweeten, and age with oak. Should be interesting when its done!

Now off to come up with a blackcherry port-style wine recipe.

Back