Low Initial SG and Temp a Little High

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexPKeaton

Reaction score
Started a winexpert World Vineyard Australian Shiraz today. Instructions said the initial SG should be between 1.075 and 1.092 - we were at 1.073 after adjusting for temperature.

Also, I guess we used too much warm water with topping up the primary. We can't get the temperature below 80 degrees. The kit says not to proceed unless the temperature is between 72-75, but will we be ok if our temp is a little higher? I haven't added the yeast yet - waiting to see if I crank the AC up enough to get the temp down.

It seems from the WE kits I have seen that they tend to start at the lower end of the suggested range. Did you stir it REALLY GOOD? If you topped up with warm water, warm water will want to rise to the top and if you didn't mix really well it could give you an SG that reads low. sounds like you already adjusted for temp when you took your hydrometer reading but another good stir will not hurt.

As for the temp you should be fine to pitch the yeast at 80 but if you want to leave it a couple hours the temp will come down. Last night my temp was high on the batch I started since I mixed in warm simple syrup. I put the lid on it and set it on the patio for a couple hours, the temp dropped, I pitched the yeast and had bubbles in about an hour.

Got it - thanks. I'm going to let it sit for another hour or so - temp still reads at just above 80, which is weird, because it's freezing in my apartment right now! I also figured that it would be ok to add the yeast at this temp, but didn't know if WE used a certain yeast that might not work at a higher temp.

SG

I have this wine in bulk aging now, and did get 1.09 to start.

Sounds like you added a bit to much water.
Does your primary have a mark for 23L?

Don't keep that apartment too cold, you will want at least 72F for that batch of red.

Last edited:
As Hobby said, always make sure you stir the wine well before taking the first SG reading. If you feel it is too low, i.e. will result in too low an ABV, you can raise the SG by adding simple syrup (one part water, two parts sugar).

Thanks for all of the replies. Temp is fine now and SG is at 1.060, 24 hours later.

Is it too late to add simple syrup? When in the process is it too late? How does that affect the wine, other than increasing the final ABV?

APK:

Doesn't that kit have a grape pack with it? Did you measure the sg after the grape pack had a chance to be absorbed into the must?

If you decide to add simple syrup now, take before and after sg measurements, so that you can figure out the end alcohol %.

Steve

Latest posts

Back