Lost power during primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gwand

Reaction score
I was in the middle of primary fermentation of WE 2013 Shiraz/Cab kit with RC 212. It was going very well. Then on day 4 I lost power during the storm and my basement is hovering at 40F for the last 36 hours. We anticipate gaining power back tomorrow. Do you think the yeast will survive this cold snap or will I have to pitch again. Thanks. G

I think once it warms back up should take back off. But would have a spare packet of yeast on hand!!

Good luck

To add to what Scott has said, you should wrap a blanket around the carboy to help hold what warmth it has in. Remember fermentation will generate its own heat and you would just need to help hold that heat in.

I believe he is the 1 who had to seek shelter in a motel due to no water supply (well) so not sure how close he is to his house to go back and wrap it up. It may have been vigorous enough at that point to hold enough heat to make it through but working slowly so get that puppy heated up as fast as you can when you get back and if your close by wrap it like Julie said.

It should be just fine. Yeasties are pretty tough and cooling them down tends to just slow them up. Now, when the batch gets done the next post will probably be "That is the best wine I have ever made." Now to try and duplicate it. Hope you don't have to pray for the power to fail again. Been thru that, I do know how you feel and hope they have you up and running again. Arne.

You guys are brilliant. Power returned last night. By this morning temperature in my wine making room was up to 65. This afternoon I see good fermentation happening. As you all predicted it looks like everything is going to turn out okay. Thank you

Pretty much lots of us have been there and done that and have the bumper sticker to prove it! LOL

Back