My first batch with fresh grapes.....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brought the 2 buckets inside after almost 3 days in cold soak; mixed both into 20gal brute.

Added ~7 tsp of pectic enzyme.

Calibrated ph55 and measured ph= ~3.41

Must temp however is at 50 degrees F. So I turned on the basement pellet stove and placed brute on top of a small table and in front of the pellet stove :h

Will check temp again tonight but thinking about waiting to pitch the yeast in the morning. I hope its temp goes to high 60s or 70 before the yeast..

Undecided if pitching yeast now, must temp reads ~62F according the ph meter.

Too cool? What would be the min temp to pitch yeast? Room temp is ~70F.

62 degrees would be about as cold of a temperature as I would expect the yeast to be able to function in. I would aim for 65 degrees minimum. It also depends on the yeast strain - some are more tolerant of lower temperatures than others.

the temp in the must read 80 degrees this morning as I have the bucket in front of the pellet stove; I hope the BM45 yeast is ok with that temp?

the temp in the must read 80 degrees this morning as I have the bucket in front of the pellet stove; I hope the BM45 yeast is ok with that temp?

I wouldn't want to go much higher than that. Then again, I usually try to keep things in the low-mid 70's.

I hear you, I took another reading now and is at 81F so I moved it away from the stove.
The smell of this blend is WONDERFUL.

First time with fresh grapes, the cap formation is hard on top..!!
I can finally listen to the noise of the yeast at work.

Thinking ahead of time, I am concerned about pressing.....sigh...:a1

no...trying to find someone local that can do me a favor or charge me a small fee....:d

Latest posts

Back