Looking to venture into new territory ... non kit wine making

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanyalc

Reaction score
So I made some kits and enjoyed the process but would like to make some fruit wine from scratch.

I would really like some fruit recipes that I could potentially drink this summer by the pool.

Must be... 1. easy cuz I am a newbie :) and 2. For a 6 gallon batch - I only have 6 gallon carboys.

Anyone have some good easy recipies to share?

Thanks
Tanya

PS - I will really need the complete step by step instructions :)

Last edited:
Your best bet is to buy and drink a couple of gallon jugs of wine. That way you will have 1 gallon carboys to use for your fruit wines. Nothing worse than having to throw out 5 gallons of peach wine because you made a mistake and it tasted like stale ***...not that I would ever admit to that!

Lots of 1 gallon recipes available here or on Jack Kellers website.

Good luck,.

Your best bet is to buy and drink a couple of gallon jugs of wine. That way you will have 1 gallon carboys to use for your fruit wines. Nothing worse than having to throw out 5 gallons of peach wine because you made a mistake and it tasted like stale ***...not that I would ever admit to that!

Lots of 1 gallon recipes available here or on Jack Kellers website.

Good luck,.

You have a very good point. I think my father-in-law might have some gallon jugs.

Do you happen to have with web address?

First, look at skeeterpee.com for an easy quick and adaptable recipe. second, if you have access to juice buckets, I buy juice from Luva Bella in Lowellville Ohio. They sell California and Italian grape juices in the fall and Chilean grape juices in the spring. Access to these juices has made a huge difference in my winemaking! The buckets are considerably less expensive than a kit and my results have been much better with the buckets than the kits!

+1 on Jack Keller's site. I started out making apple wine, cranberry wine and skeeter pee from the bottled grocery store juices until I got the process and habits down pat, now I am expanding my horizons. They do pretty well, especially when back sweetened with concentrate.

Tanya,
I think that you will have a lot of fun making fruit wines, if you enter dragon blood into the search for this forum, you will find a really great recipe that fits your needs, it is easy to make and very much drinkable within a month!
I would start with a 5 or 6 gallon batch, trust me when I tell you that this will go very fast! You will probably make a few more batches before summer!
Dave has broken down the recipe to make it very easy to understand, and the coolest part is that you can change it around to your own personal taste!
I wouldn't bother making a one gallon batch, you'll only be upset that you didn't make more...lol!
I think that while Jack kellers website is an amazing resource, it is sometimes a bit tricky to navigate, keep asking questions and everyone will be more than willing to help you!

Tanya,
I think that you will have a lot of fun making fruit wines, if you enter dragon blood into the search for this forum, you will find a really great recipe that fits your needs, it is easy to make and very much drinkable within a month!

I saw this in my site travels. This will definitely be the one to try.

Thanks for all the help!

Latest posts

Back