Looking for help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powerman

Junior
Reaction score
Hello folks,

To start off, I am just transitioning into making wine from fruit as opposed to juices and kits. I'm starting to learn more of the art of making wine than just following instructions in a kit. To that end I have been reading forums like WMT and talking with a local winery/vineyard. I'm amazed at how little I know even with all of the reading I have been doing the last few years.

I helped pick at a local vineyard and did my first two wines from grape with instructions and suggestions from the winemakers who were helping as well. I came into 100+ lbs of concord grapes. I destemmed and crushed and brought the brix up. At the time, I knew nothing really about acid management (still don't know near enough) but I know now that concords are pretty high in acidity. I only left them on the skins for 3 days and it is getting close to 0 brix now. My question is, would a Concord do well to have MLF?? I would assume it would soften it and help with the flavor. Any suggestions or input is appreciated!

-Tom

Tom:

IMHO I would not do a MLF w/o having some information on the TA and PH. You may lower the TA but raise the PH to a level that would not be in the best interest.

Back