little particles on top of wine-

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure why you have the same thing going in two threads. The answers will flow better if you keep it all in one place. It is a pain to have to go back and forth to see what others have recommended. Not criticizing, just pointing out a way for you to get the best answers.

Yes, I agree it makes no sense. Was just thinking I had it in the wrong place... my bad.wish it was all together. I won't make that mistake again...

I always have k-meta in a wash bottle at hand.

I have formica countertops in my winery. I like to squirt a little puddle of k-meta onto the countertop and then set my stopper/trap in that puddle. When I am ready to reseal my container (carboy/demijohn/VCSS tank), I add a dose of k-meta to the wine, replace the liquid in the trap with some fresh k-meta solution, give the stopper another rinse with k-meta solution, then seal the container.

So this morning I noticed that there was about an inch or more of a substance on the bottom of the carboy. I am assuming lees or sediment, it was a lighter color than the shiraz. Also, there was some of the sides of the carboy. Camera on my phone is not great. Do you think this is normal for this stage. Or am I being too impatient?

Hello!
When I rack from one container to another, I take a Bung (sanitized) slide it on my racking cane and into the wine (hang at angle, so it does not completely seal opening, and can still draw air), about 5 to 6 inches, start the siphon as the wine lowers I also lower the cane , staying between top of wine and the lease on bottom, as I reach a safe amount, I gently wedge (tilt) the vessel I 'm siphoning from, staying off the bottom enough not to draw up lees, And away from the top enough so as not to draw air (looing suction for siphon),until I reach the area of the lees I don't want, then I lift cane.

This is what I do, it works for me but it might not be the way for you. Give it some thought beforehand.

I am wondering if you maybe pulling to much of your sediment back into your new vessel. ???
Hope this helps!!

Last edited:
Hello!
When I rack from one container to another, I take a Bung (sanitized) slide it on my racking cane and into the wine (hang at angle, so it does not completely seal opening, and can still draw air), about 5 to 6 inches, start the siphon as the wine lowers I also lower the cane , staying between top of wine and the lease on bottom, as I reach a safe amount, I gently wedge (tilt) the vessel I 'm siphoning from, staying off the bottom enough not to draw up lease, And away from the top enough so as not to draw air (looing suction for siphon),until I reach the area of the lease I don't want, then I lift cane.

This is what I do, it works for me but it might not be the way for you. Give it some thought beforehand.

I am wondering if you maybe pulling to much of your sediment back into your new vessel. ???
Hope this helps!!

thank you for your reply. I think you're right. I am probably pulling too much. I usually just clip the cane to the side and lift it up about an inch and let is siphon away until it stops. I need to try your way.

thank you for your reply. I think you're right. I am probably pulling too much. I usually just clip the cane to the side and lift it up about an inch and let is siphon away until it stops. I need to try your way.

The clip is probably your safest bet, I used one but broke it, Thanks for reminding me. I was doing this from a pail a few weeks ago and it flipped out throwing wine everywhere, had to clean up, resanitize everything, plus got my butt in trouble with my wife. Putting them on my list, asap.

Thanks again!

Hello, so ... tonight I checked my shiraz as I had noticed it looked better. It smells great. It is very dark-can't see through it with a flashlight? Is this normal? Oh, and also, I was able to remove the last of the few particles I was so worried about, as I had topped up to the neck. They were like crystals. Any ideas what that was?

Hello, so ... tonight I checked my shiraz as I had noticed it looked better. It smells great. It is very dark-can't see through it with a flashlight? Is this normal? Oh, and also, I was able to remove the last of the few particles I was so worried about, as I had topped up to the neck. They were like crystals. Any ideas what that was?

It's quite normal not to be able to see through it, even if it's completely clear. You just added chitosan a couple of days ago, so it just needs time to finish up. Even when clear, you can't see through with a flashlight, but you can with a laser pointer when clear.

When you rack next, according to your instructions, probably a few weeks away, it will be a lot clearer. I know it's hard, but try not to look at it and notice daily progress, it'll drive you mad, but certainly check for problems.

As for your floaters, I don't know what they are, but I don't worry too much about small floating particles until my wine has been racked at least once after being clear. If you still have CO2, it could float some stuff up. As long as your KMS is up to snuff and you're being sanitary, don't worry too much.

I always have k-meta in a wash bottle at hand.

I have formica countertops in my winery. I like to squirt a little puddle of k-meta onto the countertop and then set my stopper/trap in that puddle. When I am ready to reseal my container (carboy/demijohn/VCSS tank), I add a dose of k-meta to the wine, replace the liquid in the trap with some fresh k-meta solution, give the stopper another rinse with k-meta solution, then seal the container.

I use to squirt a puddle on my counter top too , but then I started putting it in a container (small tight vessel), to keep it from falling over.( Less spillage) , on my formica countertops.

Hi.

Did you get your wine problems straightened out??

Thanks!

Hi Dave,
Yes thank you I did. I had forgotten to add the chitosan. I remembered 8 days after the clearing and de-gassing. After I added it and mixed it up, I noticed them disappear pretty quick. I also topped up with some store bought shiraz. It is just sitting under an airlock now, and looks amazing. It smells great too. Can't wait to taste it!
And I used your suggestion with tipping the carboy while racking, a chardonnay I have started, it worked great. Thank you!

Last edited:
So in just theft some wine from the carboy. Shiraz, and also a chardonnay I have soon the be ready to bottle... First tastes of both...
Results? I am so impressed with myself right now. Haha.
My first wines actually taste good, both of them!
I wish I could explain the smells and tastes.. I have a lot to learn, but let me tell you that it tastes really good and smells great too. I can definitely smell/taste hues of the oak in the shiraz.
Cheers to wine making... I am extremely excited about this new adventure !:db

Racking reds....Don't you all find this hard? I have racked from primary, to secondary to bulk aging to racking again before bottling. I may have to rack even again before bottling. The wine is so dark it is hard to see the racking cane. I am trying my hardest to not disturb the sediment when racking. I am guessing maybe I didn't do a great job when I racked from primary to secondary and so on. I did use the helpful tips of tipping the carboy I am racking to. Any more tips? Should I still have some sediment at this stage? Maybe it's just because I am such a newbie at this.
Also, I have been thieving some of the wine lol. It's really good. Is this ok? It won't hurt me in any way drinking it this early on, will it? I plan on bottling it tomorrow and taking a couple bottles with me to the cottage this weekend. I know it's not prime by any means, but I'd rather drink it that some store bought wine.

Racking reds....Don't you all find this hard? I have racked from primary, to secondary to bulk aging to racking again before bottling. I may have to rack even again before bottling. The wine is so dark it is hard to see the racking cane. I am trying my hardest to not disturb the sediment when racking. I am guessing maybe I didn't do a great job when I racked from primary to secondary and so on. I did use the helpful tips of tipping the carboy I am racking to. Any more tips? Should I still have some sediment at this stage? Maybe it's just because I am such a newbie at this.
Also, I have been thieving some of the wine lol. It's really good. Is this ok? It won't hurt me in any way drinking it this early on, will it? I plan on bottling it tomorrow and taking a couple bottles with me to the cottage this weekend. I know it's not prime by any means, but I'd rather drink it that some store bought wine.

Hard sometimes lol. Fun.. always.., I racked some Diablo Rojo just now, it was dark, yum..yum.. Racking and degassing 3 Reds tonight Cab. Sav., the Rojo, and Sangiovese,. As far as the lees, or sediment, after stabilizing a little is (ok), It can become your friend ( adding character), at a certain part of the process. (latter)in whites.. Take it with you, (enjoy), what came from the top, or 3 bottles down, it's not 12 months old but it's yours. lol. The top is the clearest. As far as thieving, you can't steal from yourself, the first coming off the top is mine, Always, lol. Have fun at the cottage and be safe, enjoy yourself, I sure do. Stay with this forum you'll become a pro.

Last edited:
I bottled one of my 6 gallon batches of Shiraz last night. Everything went great, and minimal sediment. I didn't notice any at all at the bottom of the carboy when I was done. The other I will bottle Sunday or Monday. So exciting to have made my own wine...
And I drank probably a full bottle yesterday, no sure how much as I kept filling my wine glass straight from the carboy! lol

Latest posts

Back