Limited Release Private Reserve Bruno Wine Kit Winexpert it comes with RC 212 and EC1118.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kross

Reaction score
The Winexpert Bruno kit has 2 yeast. It has RC 212 and EC1118 I was planning on switching out for BM 4 X 4. Do I need 2 yeasts?

The Winexpert Bruno kit has 2 yeast. It has RC 212 and EC1118 I was planning on switching out for BM 4 X 4. Do I need 2 yeasts?
No. But keep them on hand in case of a stuck fermentation. EC1118 is excellent for restarting difficult ferments.

By the way, not part of your question, I use two yeasts now. I split my buckets into two buckets and use a different yeast in each. When they get to 1.020-ish I combine them. I keep notes on what they tasted like when combining, sometimes it translates to the finished wine, sometimes slightly different. Never bad.

First, there's no reason to not use the BM 4x4 if you want.

However, note that the ABV tolerance on RC-212 is 16% -- if the Bruno kit is approaching that level (OG 1.110+) then the EC-1118 is added for insurance to ensure it ferments to completion.

Since BM 4x4 is also rated for 16%, so you may have the same situation.

I am current fermenting a Zin kit whose OG was 1.114, and included both RC-212 and EC-1118, with instructions to add both. I added only the RC-212 and am letting it ferment down to 1.010. At that point I'll add a EC-1118 starter to ensure it completes fermentation. You may want to do the same as it will give BM 4x4 the opportunity to do what you want, and the EC-1118 will ensure it completes.

On Bob's side note -- I have been doing similar for a couple of years, splitting grape batches and fermenting separately with different strains, then combining post-fermentation. I 'spose this makes sense -- we're both dinosaurs ...

Last kit for the girls this year , simple good finish cab

Attachments

• IMG_2654.jpeg
    IMG_2654.jpeg
    427.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2653.jpeg
    IMG_2653.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2652.jpeg
    IMG_2652.jpeg
  • IMG_2647.jpeg
    IMG_2647.jpeg
  • IMG_2645.jpeg
    IMG_2645.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
An update on my Zin kit -- the ferment slowed when the SG got below 1.010 and appears to have stuck at 1.002. While I could have waited, this is close enough to RC-212's ABV tolerance that I made an EC-1118 starter and added it.

The reason for going with RC-212 first and letting it go as far as it could is that RC-212 emphasizes fruit and spice notes, really good characteristics for a full bodied red wine. OTOH, EC-1118 is simply a work horse that pretty much guarantees a complete ferment up to 18% ABV.

By doing a 2 stage inoculation I got as much as possible from the RC-212 and the EC-1118 simply completed the ferment. If I co-inoculated, I'd have no idea what the result would be.

An update on my Zin kit -- the ferment slowed when the SG got below 1.010 and appears to have stuck at 1.002. While I could have waited, this is close enough to RC-212's ABV tolerance that I made an EC-1118 starter and added it.

The reason for going with RC-212 first and letting it go as far as it could is that RC-212 emphasizes fruit and spice notes, really good characteristics for a full bodied red wine. OTOH, EC-1118 is simply a work horse that pretty much guarantees a complete ferment up to 18% ABV.

By doing a 2 stage inoculation I got as much as possible from the RC-212 and the EC-1118 simply completed the ferment. If I co-inoculated, I'd have no idea what the result would be.
Curious what your protocol is for the EC1118 2nd inoculation in a "highish" ABV situation?

Cheers!

Curious what your protocol is for the EC1118 2nd inoculation in a "highish" ABV situation?
The initial inoculation with RC-212 was my standard method -- I made an overnight starter and inoculated in the morning.

For various reasons, I monitored the SG on this one tighter than normal, taking a reading every morning. I had several ideas in mind, but decided to let the RC-212 go as far as it could. The ferment slowed down below 1.020 (which isn't unusual), so at 1.002 I made an EC-1118 starter that evening.

It might have been a waste of yeast, but I wasn't confident the RC-212 would finish. When the SG was 1.002 the following morning, I knew I guessed right and added the EC-1118 starter.

My recommendation for a protocol?
  1. Look at the OG and figure the potential ABV (depending on method, mine ranged from 15.8% to 16.3%).
  2. Compare that to the first yeast's ABV tolerance (RC-212 is 16%).
  3. Let the first yeast go to its completion OR pick an SG at which to inoculate with the second strain.
  4. Make an EC-1118 starter and inoculate at the decided time.
  5. Let it finish.
I recommend EC-1118 as the second yeast. A strain that can reliably be added to a high ABV must and thrive is required, and EC-1118 doesn't have a lot of competitors in that regard. The first strain provides whatever its qualities are, and the second one eats any remaining sugar.

The initial inoculation with RC-212 was my standard method -- I made an overnight starter and inoculated in the morning.

For various reasons, I monitored the SG on this one tighter than normal, taking a reading every morning. I had several ideas in mind, but decided to let the RC-212 go as far as it could. The ferment slowed down below 1.020 (which isn't unusual), so at 1.002 I made an EC-1118 starter that evening.

It might have been a waste of yeast, but I wasn't confident the RC-212 would finish. When the SG was 1.002 the following morning, I knew I guessed right and added the EC-1118 starter.

1. Look at the OG and figure the potential ABV (depending on method, mine ranged from 15.8% to 16.3%).
  3. Let the first yeast go to its completion OR pick an SG at which to inoculate with the second strain.
  5. Let it finish.
I recommend EC-1118 as the second yeast. A strain that can reliably be added to a high ABV must and thrive is required, and EC-1118 doesn't have a lot of competitors in that regard. The first strain provides whatever its qualities are, and the second one eats any remaining sugar.
Do you introduce/add any of the fermented must to the EC1118 starter prior to adding entire starter to the wine? In researching making sparkling wines...I've seen this mentioned as a way to help acclimate the EC1118 to an already alcohol rich environment.

Cheers!

Do you introduce/add any of the fermented must to the EC1118 starter prior to adding entire starter to the wine? In researching making sparkling wines...I've seen this mentioned as a way to help acclimate the EC1118 to an already alcohol rich environment.
No, I just added the starter, carefully pouring it down the inside of the fermenter.

5. Let it finish.
Curious what the highest ABV must/vino you've successfully added a 2nd EC1118 starter to and finished the fermentation to dry.?

Cheers!

Curious what the highest ABV must/vino you've successfully added a 2nd EC1118 starter to and finished the fermentation to dry.?
This one. I don't typically make high ABV wines.

EDIT: My 2019 Merlot and Zinfandel were about 15.7% ABV -- if I had it to do over, I'd have watered them back about 10% with acidulated water. Eventually both evened out, but for the first couple of years they were unbalanced.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back