Lessons learned

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlietuna

Reaction score
I was setting here thinking about the important things I've learned since I took on this hobby.

The biggest thing I've learned (that i didn't think was important)was the importance of topping off a carboy. I transferred a batch of Cabernet Sauvignon to a carboy that was too large & didn't realize the importance of topping off. Now the batch is poor in comparison to others of the same age & type that I did keep up to the neck of the carboy.

Please share so I / we can learn from others mistakes

Brian

Sorry to say that I haven't done anything like that yet. But I've only done 8 batches so I have plenty of time left to mess something up.

Ok. Maybe one thing I have going is a batch of ginger beer. I should have bottled it months ago but it's still sitting there clearing but I'm not sure what to do with it. I want it sweeter but carbonated. not sure how to do that without making bombs or using artificial sweetener. So that maybe a batch getting dumped.

Sorry to say that I haven't done anything like that yet. But I've only done 8 batches so I have plenty of time left to mess something up.

Ok. Maybe one thing I have going is a batch of ginger beer. I should have bottled it months ago but it's still sitting there clearing but I'm not sure what to do with it. I want it sweeter but carbonated. not sure how to do that without making bombs or using artificial sweetener. So that maybe a batch getting dumped.

can you not sweeten it and keg it?

Definition of an Expert.

One who knows more and more about less and less, until he ends up knowing everything about nothing.

or

Ex (as in has been) and spurt (a drip under pressure) !

Cheers, Tony.

Rob, have you used sorbate on this? If not you could add sugar and then bottle it in beer bottles or champagne bottles. Doing it that way it will usually end up sweeter as without any air it usually doesnt ferment dry. Next time you may want to use a beer yeast and some unfermentables.

Rob, have you used sorbate on this? If not you could add sugar and then bottle it in beer bottles or champagne bottles. Doing it that way it will usually end up sweeter as without any air it usually doesnt ferment dry. Next time you may want to use a beer yeast and some unfermentables.

Won't they have a chance of over carbonating? I'd like it carbonated. But now that i have the CO2 seltzer bottle I should try that.

I was setting here thinking about the important things I've learned since I took on this hobby.

The biggest thing I've learned (that i didn't think was important)was the importance of topping off a carboy. I transferred a batch of Cabernet Sauvignon to a carboy that was too large & didn't realize the importance of topping off. Now the batch is poor in comparison to others of the same age & type that I did keep up to the neck of the carboy.

Brian

I have learned plenty since one year ago when I picked up this great hobby. Number one don't have more than one set of hands deciding on what to do! This actually just happened to me last night my brother wanted to help so I told him to grab the f-pack to add to my strawberry white merlot kit but I also have a kiwi-pear kit going as well. Well needless to say he added the wrong f-pack to the kit and now I'm not sure how this is going to end up here. I was making this kit for a wedding next month and now I'm in a bind.
Number TWO cleaning is not sanitizing!
Number THREE Degas degas degas degas degas! If your not sure if its degassed enough then its not keep going!!! Pumps work the best for me to make sure it is degassed completely.
Number FOUR it's fun to make wine while drunk but I wouldn't advise it haha
Number FIVE be careful when cleaning and sanitizing equipment especially hydrometers and wine thief's and test jars.

And so far those are my biggest mistakes but I'm sure I will have more to come from here but I just thought I'd pass on the info with my mistakes already done. Great thread to create!

ALSO I forgot to add when a mistake is made, DON"T panic! Things will become worse if you do so stay calm and figure out what to do next. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
PATIENCE.

The Power of PROCRASTINATION.

Anybody who is in a hurry to make wine is doing it wrong.

Steve

Thought of a good one today as I was cleaning a hydrometer.

Always have at least 2 hydrometers!

Brian

Your wine is most likely oxidized. I think that others had have some success treating this, but it has been my experience that oxidized wine is never worth saving no matter what you do. I would get it into a smaller container as soon as possible.

Seconding the topping off importance, even if you have to use cheap wine. And the importance of taking SG readings really at every step of the process.

And that star san is a godsend, and a little solution ending up in your wine is LEAGUES better than a spoon not properly sanitized stirring it...

Never use a drill-mounted degasser and marbles at the same time. (Imagine a slap shot.....)

Was lucky to save almost 3 gallons.

You could use a Better Bottle and squeeze it with a belt to bring the level up a few inches.

Yeah, not sure which trauma was worse......... Losing juice rapidly or what it was doing to the carpet. (Carpet was going to be replaced anyway.)

I have since gone to a vac pump and still use mityvac on the back end to be sure. If anyone out there is using both, and I like my wine to be my wine and not topped with something someone else made, so I use sanitized marbles to displace volume - just be sure not to let the drill stir get to low where you catch marbles..... they will also get moving around with the turbulence so keep that in mind and keep good intervals between bursts.

When making a kit, aim for the top of the SG range.

Just learned this one today.

Brian

Latest posts

Back