Lemon juice to lower ph

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arkansan07

Reaction score
I started a simple welches white concentrate batch today and my ph is 3.7. I was wondering if anyone has had much luck with using lemon juice concentrate to lower ph? Looks like to me it should impart citrus flavor to it as well. I really enjoy crisp whites, so what do yall think?

I don't know about adding lemon juice. Why don't you just add tartaric acid or acid blend? Also, are you real sure on that reading? Welch's balances out the acid, you really should not need to do much with it

I will double check it tomorrow, used my digital meter. I might could get to the brew shop in the morning to get some acid blend, but ill be real rushed for time. Guess I should have checked all my supplies before making a batch on a whim.

It was always my belief that older recipes that call for lemons did so mainly for their effect on pH and the acid addition.

FWIW, my formula sheet contains the following:

1 lemon=37.5ml juice=1.75g citric acid=0.4tsp citric acid

It was always my belief that older recipes that call for lemons did so mainly for their effect on pH and the acid addition.

thats helpful, is that a formula sheet you made or is it one I can find online?

thats helpful, is that a formula sheet you made or is it one I can find online?

I would taste it before adding any acid. I've made a few batches using the frozen Niagara concentrate and have found the acid to be high (pH around 3.1 to 3.2). Have actually used a yeast (71B-1122) to help reduce the malic acid and have found that to be more pleasant and easy drinking, especially since I prefer a dry wine and don't back sweeten my batches (back sweetening can overcome higher acid levels and make more drinkable).

I did that to a blueberry and entered a competition with it. I thought it would be close to a Dragon Blood. It won bronze, but the one judge that was an expert didn't like the lemon addition.

Latest posts

Back