Left on lees too long?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EllenDee

Junior
Reaction score
I have started making my first batch of wine - a Sauvignon Blanc kit - but had some life issues that prevented me from being able to rack the first ferment when I should have.

As a result, it has been sitting in the fermenter for nearly 6 weeks, instead of the 2 the kit specified. I am not sure though whether this is something that is a total waste to be thrown out, or if it is going to be drinkable but not great if I rack it into a carboy etc.

If it is definately no good for wine, does anyone know if it will make ok vinegar? My current plan is to rack it onto a carboy and see if it seems drinkable in a few months, if not try it as vinegar. I would however appreciate advice on whether it is worth the effort.

It will not be vinegar, It will be fine. Do like you plan and rack it to carboy. What is the SG. It may be time to stabilize the wine. Most likely it is. wait as long as you can stand befor drinking. Age is your friend. Really these kits are almost bullet proof.

It is not vinegar - rack off and let it age - give it a good does of SO2 - to prevent any unwanted bacterial activity.

Has this been sitting in an open container for 6 weeks post fermentation??

Some winemakers age their Sauvignon Blanc on lees for months. Although, that's on fine lees and not gross lees. My guess is that you will be just fine. Have you tasted it yet? At six weeks old you should be able to taste if it's bad.

Since the wine is from a kit, there won't be much of what we call gross lees; it will be mostly sediment from yeast. Generally, the bigger stuff (gross lees) is racked off between primary and secondary, leaving just yeast sediment, but your wine should be fine.

As mentioned, it could actually be better for it, as leaving the white on its lees (surlies or lees aging) can really smooth out the wine.

Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks for all the replies - I was worried that the wine would have off flavours from sitting on the yeast, but I tasted a little as suggested and it tasted pretty good.

The wine is now sitting in the carboy waiting to be bottled. I was so happy I started another two batches of wine and some cider!

In regards to my comments about vinegar, I was not worried it would have already turned to vinegar (was under airlock) but was a bit panicked that I had ruined the wine for drinking and wondering if there was some way to salvage my investment. Fortunately this is no longer an issue, and now only the dregs are now destined for my vinegar crock.

Last edited:
Please post your results in this thread down the road when you're finished and let us know how you fared. Like others, I believe you'll be OK and am curious to hear the results.

Tony P.

Latest posts

Back