WineXpert LE15 Gewürztraminer Verdelho Muscat

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man thats a crazy (good) price for sure! :sh

Mine is already tasting fantastic and its only ~ 3 weeks old! Early drinker for sure if need be.

@BoatBoy24

You wanted to get this kit, here it is at a really attractive price...

If I were interested to buy, I'd just give them a call and ask, maybe it is all good, just that the kit is open but things are intact. Great shipping rate.

I said in the kit description that Home Brew It bought out Winexpert's reaming stock of the wine so I think "Open Stock" means that the limited edition is not limited to a small number of kits.

We'll know in a few days. I got a confirmation today from Fedex letting my know that the kit will be delivered on Thursday.

Thanks Ron, let us know.

BTW - How do you manage making wine in South Florida (Miami)? Must be fun.. ::

Varis,

Despite the high outside temperature and humidity, the house is kept between 76 and 78 degrees depending on what room your in. For red wines, those inside temperatures work, although they are at the top of the range. I just finished bottling a Cabernet and a Chianti a few days ago.

The Gewurztraminer Verdello Muscat kit I just ordered would probably be better fermented at a temperature in the mid 60's. I probably wont start the kit until sometime in October when the hot weather starts to break. The reason that I bought it now was that I was looking for a off dry white wine like a Riesling, saw the recommendations for the Gewurztraminer Verdello Muscat in this thread, and then found it on sale for an unbelievable price.:db

Racked from 6gal plastic carboy to 5gal glass carboy, 2 extra .750ml bottles and small glass for sipping.

pH reads ~3.31 and tastes darn good for such a young wine, this will be a winner!!
[emoji122][emoji122]

ImageUploadedByWine Making1470264839.749857.jpg
ImageUploadedByWine Making1470264878.492940.jpg

Nice looking glass of wine, Varis. Congratulations on your success with this limited edition wine ingredient kit.

I got my kit from the FedEx guy late yesterday. It has a date code of 0204316 00337; I'm not sure how to read the detailed date code, but it looks like my LE2015 kit was a 2016 production. I didn't think WinExpert continued making a limited edition kit after the introduction year.

Just started this kit and plan to make it without tweaks. I don't have any back-sweetened whites in my cellar, other than one island mist batch, so it will be a good addition.

The experiences and results of others making this kit have encouraged me to get my kit started. So, I started my kit on Thursday afternoon.

After using 2 liters of boiling water to dissolve the packet of bentonite in the primary fermenter, I added the juice from kit and topped up to 23 liters with bottled spring water that I had chilling overnight in the fridge. The must was too hot at 88° Fahrenheit, after the chilled water addition, so I decided to wait until the following morning to pitch the yeast. Come Friday morning, the temperature of the must was 78°; still too high.:ft

The instructions that came with the kit were specific with regard to the temperature; it must be between 72° and 75° for inoculation purposes. I, therefore, added ice in a baggy to the must to bring the temperature down further and pitched the yeast when the temperature reached 74°.

Maintaining adequate temperatures for making white wines in Miami is challenging when its 95° outside.

The kit came with Lalvin EC-1118. There were two yeast cultures in my wine supplies inventory that I considered using as a substitute for the EC-1118, Lalvin QA23 and Red Star Cotes des Blanc. Although, both of these yeast cultures have similar characteristics, I elected to use the Red Star yeast to bring out more of the aromatics of the Gewürztraminer in the juice mixture.

I replenished the ice bag last night and twice so far today as I write this during the early part of Saturday afternoon. With ice bags in the primary fermenter, the temperature of the must hovers between 74° and 75°. As a precaution, I spray the outside of the baggy with a Kmeta solution before returning it to the primary fermenter to minimize the introduction of outside bacteria that may be picked up from the outlet of my refrigerator's ice maker.

My plan is to continue icing down the must to the extent possible during the remainder of the primary fermentation stage.

Just to add some info I have made Gewurtztraminer twice from juice buckets. First time I used QA23, second time I used D47. I preferred the QA23 as it seemed to take more of a bite out of the ubertangy wine I make with infused gooseberries.

Pam in cinti

Back