WineXpert LE15 Gewürztraminer Verdelho Muscat

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kicked off the 2nd kit an hour ago.
Added about 1/2 f-pack up front.
SG ~1.096

Also added 1/2oz of elderberry flowers, nice smell.
Pitched QA23 [emoji4]

Holy Cow this thing fermented FAST. Just moved it to glass as the SG was down to 1.01. The temps in the winery are ~66F at the moment and the BA11 just laughed this time and went ferment crazy. Spiked up to 76F all by itself for a day or two even with the cool room temps. Now down to 70F. Smells great!

Holy Cow this thing fermented FAST. Just moved it to glass as the SG was down to 1.01. The temps in the winery are ~66F at the moment and the BA11 just laughed this time and went ferment crazy. Spiked up to 76F all by itself for a day or two even with the cool room temps. Now down to 70F. Smells great!

Like you said earlier, happy yeast. That is a big temperature spike, I've seen 70*F tops on mine when my ambient temp is in the mid 60's. As I remember you usually don't add any nutrients, so you can't blame it on that. Guess if it smells great, means you didn't blow off the nice fruity volitales.

My QA23 has foamed more than I've ever seen before, most likely because my basement temp is in the mid 70s.
This yeast is a champion and very quiet when the room temp is in the low 60s.

I also added 1/2oz of elderberry flowers so maybe that is also contributing to the foaming.

No, there is plenty of nutrients that were added up front for the yeast by the manufacturer. I usually see a spike up to ~74 or so but this being the Summer and the winery is warmer than Winter it went a little higher.

Not sure how much volatile organics are left after they pull ~ 2 gallons of water out of the juice via a vacuum process, then flash pasteurize the whole thing before bagging it and boxing it all up for shipment...... :d

SG is already at 1.000 today! Must temp is down to 69.

Like you said earlier, happy yeast. That is a big temperature spike, I've seen 70*F tops on mine when my ambient temp is in the mid 60's. As I remember you usually don't add any nutrients, so you can't blame it on that. Guess if it smells great, means you didn't blow off the nice fruity volitales.

Mine dropped to 0.994 in the bucket (all the way dry in 'primary'), racked to 6gal plastic 'carboy' and will leave alone for a few days.

Mine is sitting at 0.994 for the last few days but I will leave it on the lees for a few days to soak up some of that "extra" flavor and mouthfeel they provide. Smells great. Took a look at the pH today and its sitting at 3.32 so will definitely be dropping that down more in the "my liking" range.

I'm surprised at that PH knowing you haven't added any of the fpack.
I think my first kit ended around very low 3 or below 3 and it sort of balanced with the addition of the fpack.

I added ~40% of the f-pack up front. I will wait until I add the rest and it is fully degassed before I make any adjustments.

I added ~40% of the f-pack up front. I will wait until I add the rest and it is fully degassed before I make any adjustments.

That is surprising to me knowing you add the entire f-pack up-front all the times...

I will follow you to see what your PH ends up as, after any addition of the f-pack...I'd be interested...

This one I wanted to be slightly off dry since it is predominately Gewürztraminer. Its still degassing so that could skew the pH.

Just finished degassing and stabilizing plus remainder of fpack.
Final SG exactly what I was looking for 1.000 :db

and pH ~3.29 :h

Where are you 'glowin'? :ft

Last edited:
What happened to your pH 2.99!!!!!!! You are now within 0.03 of my pH tested earlier this week.

We made a Costco run to ABQ today so I will stabilize it mañana....... LOL

and pH ~3.29 :h

Where are you 'glowin'? :ft

What happened to your pH 2.99!!!!!!! You are now within 0.03 of my pH tested earlier this week.

We made a Costco run to ABQ today so I will stabilize it mañana....... LOL

LOL

The pH was lower but I didn't check it until after the fpack addition.

I think I'll stick with that pH.. [emoji4]

Stabilized, added fining agents and added the rest of the F-pack last weekend. Let it clear all week long and racked off the fines today. Topped up with some CSM Gewürztraminer. Man I like that grape. Checked the finished SG and it was 1.002 and last time I checked my hydrometer was off by 0.002 so it is more than likely closer to 1.000. Checked pH today and it was a whopping 3.41!

Calibrated my pH meter before hand it had no problems and locked on to the 4.01 Buffer like a magnet. Added ~25gms of Tartaric and dropped the pH down to ~3.22 so will leave it at that for now and recheck in a few days after it all settles in. Quick taste test before and after the addition confirmed my pH meter results. It was tasty but rather dull and flabby before the addition and afterwards it now zings on the tongue making me very excited to let this guy bulk age for a few months before bottling him. This should be a fantastic wine to go with many different food types!

Our pH is close by, I stabilized and all that also last weekend, it is clear now and sitting in the lees so I am planing to rack it very soon and leave it bulk aging for a couple months.

Home Brew It is having a sale on this kit. I ordered it last night at a cost of $85 for the kit plus $9 shipping.

With the exception of yeast substitutions, I don't tweak wine kits in the belief that kit manufacturers develope far more expertise that I in the making of their own kits. I do do tweaking with Juice Bucket wines as they represent a cleaner, more fundamental, slate to work with.

Has anyone made this kit without tweaking, in accordance with the instructions?

I made 2 of this kit, the first one only switched the yeast and then followed the rest as instructed. I use QA23, D47, BA11 and others for whites. For this I used QA23, very nice ferment..!!

Turns out at ~1.004 or so after adding f-pack at the end.

That is a great price you found.

Back