Lack of flower clusters

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmili

Junior
Reaction score
ok, newbie here at growing grapevines much less growing anything. I have 4 vines now (flame, champanelle, thompson seedless, mars). Bought them in chronological order from left to right from home depot (I will try to get a muscodine from a nursery online eventually). The flame- I have two bunches of grapes that are still green. Champanelle- great growth, big leaves, no flower clusters. Thompson- stalled growth, no flower clusters. Mars- no growth at all, no flower clusters. The thompson and mars were planted late (early may) and were not in great shape at HD. I have been able to figure out the stalled growth (also some warped leaves as well, particularly on the new leaves) which was due to herbicide I used in another part of the yard somehow contaminating the vines (which are very sensitivie. That damage is mainly restricted to mars and thompson, however the flame and champanelle have show slight signs of it. I know they will be fine in the long run but none the less frustrating. I dont expect anything from the Thompson or Mars this year. But what about the Champanelle, I may have seen one cluster early in the season that one of its own tendrils broke to pieces but will I have to wait for next season? I also assume the two small bunches of the Flame are all I will get this season, correct me if I am wrong. Thanks, any info will be great.

I should probably add that i have very limited 1 year wood on each one (just about a foot long piece), the shoots are starting to add bark, so I am probably very limited until next year.

Welcome to the forum bmili.

My guess about the herbicide damage is 2-4D comonly used in a lot of lawn products. The gases given off by it are what damage grapes- some more than others. It can affect grapes hundreds or thousands of feet away.

If this is the first year you have planted these vines- don't expect ANY grapes. Limit their production next year and you can take a small crop the third year. Technically for best growth, you should pick off all clusters this year and unless very vigorous next year, then also. It takes a while to establish grape vines and get them into production. They will try sooner, but if you leave too many on they will stunt the plant and you will be delaying full cropping.

Latest posts

Back