label paper

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkutch

Reaction score
Curious what kind of paper you guys use for your labels. I started designing my own labels with luck but need to know the best choice on paper that doesnt cost tons and comes off if I reuse the bottles.

I use just reg extra white paper. Print 1 sheet and take to staples for Laser color printing. ( ink dont run).

Make sure I understand you. You print label off on your computer on regular white paper. Then take them to Staples to make copies of them? Do they just put them on regular avery label paper?

I just used Kinkos and am trying to find a cheaper way.

No I have them print it on reg paper and I cut anduse a glue stick to apply. When I make them I use the avery shipping label template 6 per page

I second the enthusiasm for the glue stick - easy, cheap, and REAL easy to get off when you want to reuse the bottles.

Never tried that before but will on my next batch. (Next weekend). I like how its cheap and easy.

Do you use just a regular printer? How do you wet these when applying it? Worried about ink bleeding.

If you print your own, you can spray them with clear acrylic (available at hardware and craft stores) to keep the ink from running. I actually like that better then getting color copies because I can do them all at home and it gives the finished label a nice texture that feels professional to me.

I just lick the back honestly. This paper is good for either printer but real good for Laser printer although I dont have one and just use ink jet. As far as bleeding they will run if they get wet unless you spray them as said above unlike the laser printed labels. I keep many wines in the fridge and they dont run but if they were to get wet due to like putting them in a bucket of ice then yes they would run but just about any label would get ruined in those conditions.

Brewgrrrl said:
If you print your own, you can spray them with clear acrylic (available at hardware and craft stores) to keep the ink from running. I actually like that better then getting color copies because I can do them all at home and it gives the finished label a nice texture that feels professional to me.

I use Avery labels and use to do the same as brewgirl before I bought my new printer. Some folks also use hairspray. I think the acrylic is a better idea though.

Brewgrrrl said:

+1 for the acrylic spray, especially for specials or gift bottles.

Brewgrrrl said:

Spraying with acrylic sounds to me like the way to go, and I would like to try this.

If you do print your own and spray with acrylic, are you talking about peel off labels or plain paper labels, which you cut out?

If they are peel-off labels, do you spray them BEFORE you peel them off or AFTER they are placed on the bottle? Just thinking about it and having not tried it, it seems the acrylic would dry and prevent one from peeling the label off its backing paper.

I don't have a laser print and I am tired of the ink-jet ink running so easily.

I print on plain paper, spray the sheets with acrylic, then cut out the labels and use a glue-stick to apply them.

Whatever paper you decide to use,I wouldNOT spray them after they are on the bottles or you'll end up with overspray on the glass.
Please post pics when you do your labels though - we love pictures! :)

I will try and attach the art work. These are all pictures of places my family has been too.
20100907_175808_hallway_rioja_e.jpg

That's GREAT! I love how we all find ways to make our wines really special - all of these labels look great and it's very cool that you are using pictures that mean so much to you & yours. Thanks for posting those!
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

Its a pretty funny story how I came up with the name Mama's Juice. I stored up a bunch of wine before I was married. My wife started liking the wine and one day I went to get a bottle and noticed we were out. I said its ok I will get some from the extras that I stored up. I went in to all empty boxes of wine. She drank them all. I was furious for a while (that was 5 years ago). Now we laugh about it and I bug her when I see her with wine. I ask her if she is drinking Mamas Juice.

Back