Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocco

Reaction score
I don't make kit wines but was wondering--how do you get full color and flavor by fermenting without skins and also not adding the good tannic juice you get from pressing?

Also, do you feel like your missing half the fun without crushing and pressing?

Just wanted to get perspectives so if if I should try some of these also to keep me busy throughout the year.

Crawl - Walk - Run - Ride - Drive - Fly...

There's a natural progression to all things, I believe. I'm a total newbie to wine making and am only on my fourth kit. I wanted to get a better understanding of how the process works and see if it's something I want to invest more of my time, effort and money. Kit making is like crawling or walking to me. Once I get a bit more practiced in this arena, I plan to try fresh juice and lugs of grapes. Then, if things are going well, maybe I'll completely loose my mind and start making wine from scratch.

Of course, my daydream of "what I'd do if I won the Powerball," looks something like this:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pNWqTsglwU&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Last edited:
Last November, I hosted a "Big and Bold reds" winemaking competition. Most of the entries were kit wines. No a kit maker myself, I was very impressed by the color and body of some of these kits. Nice to know that I can still make wine when I move into that retirement condo!!!!

For those of stuck with the vile muscidine grape as our only choice, its a really easy decision. Drink cough syrup or make kit wines!

To answer your initial question about color and tannins etc. They are already in there from the juice manufacturer, maybe less than from grapes, but in there anyhow. Also, many of us add grape packs and additional tannins to our kits as a regular practice.

Latest posts

Back