kitchen scale recommendations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one of these, it cost about $15: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075QB7WV9/
It reads to 0.01g and so far I've been very happy with it. Stated accuracy is ±0.05% though I have yet to confirm that - one of these days I should check it against the (much more expensive) scale I use at work.

I got a chance to compare my scale (Accuweight) with the more expensive scale today. The professional model is an Ohaus Scout Pro, which weighs up to 200g with 0.01g precision. It looks like it retails for about $360.

(i) I zeroed both scales and added a small weigh boat. Ohaus: 1.59g, Accuweight: 1.59g
(ii) I tared both scales and added a small amount of KMBS. Ohaus: 1.49g, Accuweight: 1.49g
(iii) I added some more KMBS. Ohaus: 31.58g, Accuweight: 31.57g
(iv) I took off the weigh boat, re-tared the scale and added 3 sample vials containing liquid. Ohaus: 176.66g, Accuweight: 176.64g

I bought my scale about 18 months ago and have used it intermittently since then. I was surprised and very happy to see how well it measured up against the more expensive model.

I have a scale that is supposed to read 0.1g accuracy but I don't trust it for that. I have a 100g +/-0.001g I got a few years ago for just over $100 CAD. I will say it was absolutely necessary when I wanted to weight out the EX-V enzyme as the 0.1g scale wouldn't weight that little.

I have a scale that is supposed to read 0.1g accuracy but I don't trust it for that. I have a 100g +/-0.001g I got a few years ago for just over $100 CAD. I will say it was absolutely necessary when I wanted to weight out the EX-V enzyme as the 0.1g scale wouldn't weight that little.
That is a potential drawback to the scale I purchased (arrived yesterday) -- while it has sufficient granularity (0.1 g), the minimum it will measure is 1 g. So far I haven't identified where this will be a problem for me.

That is a potential drawback to the scale I purchased (arrived yesterday) -- while it has sufficient granularity (0.1 g), the minimum it will measure is 1 g. So far I haven't identified where this will be a problem for me.
You might be able to get away with adding some weight and zeroing the scale. Maybe a small dish could work.

I just flat out don’t believe mine is capable of anything smaller than ten times it’s stated accuracy and that may be true for many cheap scales.

MLF bacteria (CH 16) comes in 2.5 g packages for 66 gallons. I can see a need for 0.1 gram weights. At least 0.2 grams for 6 gallon batches. I had to guess at the MLF bacteria for my Chambourcin - I had a 13.2 gallon keg and a 6 gallon carboy. I should have co-inoculated to avoid the issue.

MLF bacteria (CH 16) comes in 2.5 g packages for 66 gallons. I can see a need for 0.1 gram weights. At least 0.2 grams for 6 gallon batches. I had to guess at the MLF bacteria for my Chambourcin - I had a 13.2 gallon keg and a 6 gallon carboy. I should have co-inoculated to avoid the issue.
I haven't done MLF, but it's a potential. Oh, well, looks like I visualized wrong.

However, @hawkwing is right -- there are ways to make it work. I need to buy a 1 g weight -- put that on the scale, then add the 0.1 or 0.2 or whatever amount is needed. Besides, having a selection of weight enables me to determine how accurate the scale is. If it's off a bit, as long as I know how much, I can make the correction.

:)

I haven't done MLF, but it's a potential. Oh, well, looks like I visualized wrong.

However, @hawkwing is right -- there are ways to make it work. I need to buy a 1 g weight -- put that on the scale, then add the 0.1 or 0.2 or whatever amount is needed. Besides, having a selection of weight enables me to determine how accurate the scale is. If it's off a bit, as long as I know how much, I can make the correction.

:)
That will work! A one gram or a nickel that is supposed to be five grams.

Back