kitchen scale recommendations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemaker81

wine dabbler
Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at digital scales for use in the winery. I see a lot of scales accurate to 1g, and a few that are accurate to 0.1 g, with a minimum weight of 1 g.

Finer resolution seems the better choice. Can anyone provide recommendations?

Thanks!

I've had three scales but 15 yrs ago I bought a Sartorious and its the best in accuracy I've ever seen. .001 but its also serious money. Average cost is $1500 depending on model.

I've had three scales but 15 yrs ago I bought a Sartorious and its the best in accuracy I've ever seen. .001 but its also serious money. Average cost is $1500 depending on model.
That's 2 orders of magnitude above my budget .....

;)

The KitchenTour comes in 2 models: 3000g max / 0.1g accuracy OR 500g max, 0.01g accuracy. I'm going with the former, as I can't visualize having a need for 0.01g accuracy, but can see using it for 3000g max over 500g.

Thanks!

Can anyone provide recommendations?
Have you looked at jewelers scales? They are very accurate. They have to be. To weight gold and diamonds. And some are very reasonably priced.

However, there are maybe better ways to scale up weights in wine making that do not need such small scale measurements. So if those might be appropriate or not, I ask: Why are you seeking 0.1 gram accuracy?

I have one of these, it cost about $15: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075QB7WV9/

It reads to 0.01g and so far I've been very happy with it. Stated accuracy is ±0.05% though I have yet to confirm that - one of these days I should check it against the (much more expensive) scale I use at work. I use it mainly for measuring powder additives (eg KMBS, Goferm, Fermaid). But to be honest I don't really need that level of precision. If I need to add, say, 0.55g KMBS I don't bother to correct it if I'm, say, 10% off...

The KitchenTour comes in 2 models: 3000g max / 0.1g accuracy OR 500g max, 0.01g accuracy. I'm going with the former, as I can't visualize having a need for 0.01g accuracy, but can see using it for 3000g max over 500g.
It's a good choice. I have a similar scale in the kitchen. I use it on every batch. I broke out one of my reloading scales accurate to .05 of a gram and sensitive to .04 starting weight ONCE, when I wanted to accurately split DB from 5 gallons to 1. It's a good thing I have it for other reasons, I can't see EVER doing that again.

Why are you seeking 0.1 gram accuracy?
Generally speaking, I don't, although the dosage for Reduless a couple of years ago was lower than 1g/liter (I'd have to look at the package, it was something like 0.4g/l). I'd rather than too much accuracy than not enough. If the scale is off by +/- 5%, it still works.

With the Reduless, my calculation indicated I needed 1/4 the package, so I divided it in 4 equal amounts and used one. I may never need that level of accuracy again, but if I do, I've covered.

I figure 0.5g accuracy is sufficient, but since numerous scales are good to 0.1g, it more than covers my needs. That's one reason I decided against the 0.01g scale, as it's massive overkill for my needs.

You guys weigh stuff ? 🙄 That’s just crazy.

If you are trying to hit a specific SO2 addition, by weight is the only way to do it.

I don't, I just fudge in my 1/4 tsp and go heavy or light based on Ph. But if I were borderline high ph, I would be more accurate.

Weighing stuff is much more accurate and easier to scale recipes. I have two scales, a larger kitchen scale suitable for measuring sugar or honey, and a small scale accurate to 0.01 g for measuring nutrients and Kmeta powder. My small scale is this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y61YW7S/ I have found it very useful. Right now on Amazon it is only $9.99.

Weighing stuff is much more accurate and easier to scale recipes. I have two scales, a larger kitchen scale suitable for measuring sugar or honey, and a small scale accurate to 0.01 g for measuring nutrients and Kmeta powder. My small scale is this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y61YW7S/ I have found it very useful. Right now on Amazon it is only $9.99.
That link takes me to a Canadian listing for $32. So sad..

This is a reloading scale that sells for about $50 Canadian. https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Ar...571330&sprefix=frankford+scale,aps,865&sr=8-2

Name brand, reliable, and you can calibrate it with the supplied weight.

This is the beauty of Amazon. The same scale, no name brand. $9.99. If you want to get persnickety, this is a great option. https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Capa...71678&sprefix=frankford+scale,aps,865&sr=8-15

* 0.01 accuracy, I am using a mechanical one that I have had since college, it has a capacity of 410 grams, and is good for chemicals. If I was commercial I would have a $4K mettler that does 5000 grams
* 0.1 kilo accuracy/ 100 gram the bathroom scale lives in the wine area in harvest season. If I was commercial I would have a stainless platform scale with a detachable read out and 500 kg capacity
* my 5000 gram/ 5kg is an ordinary kitchen scale but it was $3 at StVinnies.

Today cheap digital balances work well/ are readily available/ are compact/ are reasonably rugged. The only balance to be questioning is the 0.01 accuracy, the rugged ones are price. Assume that you will spill on your balance therefore stainless is good

Back