Kit taste

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been reading a lot of things here and after finding out that cork shelflive is about two years. You may have turned me on to something here. I'll wait for a while before bottling.

Properly waxed and cellared, corks can go a lot longer of course. I thought this was an interesting read on the subject

http://winemakermag.com/stories/wizard/article/121-bulk-vs-bottle-aging-wine-wizard

Also, I'm using Zorks instead of corks for many reasons. So far I'm totally impressed.

What is the definition of kit taste? I've seen this term bandied about a lot but I've not seen a good description of it. I also wonder if everyone uses the term to mean the same thing.

I don't have a "definition" per se. It's a slightly off taste that's been described as somewhat metallic, or something like cardboard. Others say it's the taste of certain tannin additives extracted from grain husks or other non-grape sources.

Aging has definitely improved every wine I've tasted it in, but aging any kit wine in excess of a year is asking a LOT from the average hobbyist.

Latest posts

Back