Kit Quality at Different Levels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexPKeaton

Reaction score
So, from what I understand, there are basically 3 levels of kits - all concentrate, juice/concentrate blend, and all juice. I may be totally wrong, so feel free to correct me.

The price of the different levels of kits seems to run $60-$80-$100+ at my local shop.

Is there a generic level of "value" one associates with each type of kit? For example, our first kit was a Mosti Mondiale Vinifera Noble Castel de Papa. At bottling it was very bland. Normally, I would expect a harsh wine that would lose it's edge over time, but I feel like this is just going to stay simple and watered down. I would say it's the equivalent of a $3-4 wine you see at the supermarket.

What would be the general "value" of the different levels of wine kits? Feel free to correct any of the things I've said that are way off base.

So, from what I understand, there are basically 3 levels of kits - all concentrate, juice/concentrate blend, and all juice. I may be totally wrong, so feel free to correct me.
As far as I know, there is only one "all-juice" kit brand. There are some 23 litre kits (ie no water added), but they are probably not "all juice", and their quality varies. AFAIK, none of the 23-litre kits are the top brand for their company (except maybe Paklab or Advintage or another lesser company).

I know that there are some concentrate-only kits, and they are usually the bottom end kits. But an excellent juice that is concentrated would probably be better than a mediocre juice that hasn't been concentrated.

There are a number of concentrate/juice, and juice/concentrate brands, with varying degrees of quality.

Putting $ values on wines is nigh upon impossible. Where do you live, and how much does your government(s) tax the wine? Government wine taxes in Canada are the reason that the kit business exists.

Also I have read people on the forums saying that Three Buck Chuck (or whatever you pay) is better than (say) $12 wine. I've had under $10 commercial wine (BC Canada pricing) that I felt was much better than similar $20 wine. But not everyone would agree with me.

Steve

What Steve seems to be pointing out, and I agree, it is a matter of taste. My general rule is the less water I have to add, the more I like the final product. With that said, I have been very disappointed in some of the Mosti Mondiale All Juice Original kits but only the red wines. For some reason, their white wines in this series, to me, are much better. Let me say again, this is a personal opinion and others may have liked this brand and series. As to comparing the wines we make to store bought wines, that is highly subjective. In the past year, I have made a number of wines. Some I feel are very good, comparing well against any store bought wine that I buy, i.e. normally under $20 unless it is a special occasion. Others I have made are thin and lacking taste, but I do drink them. "Any port in a storm!"

Excellent points - thanks. I'm in Dallas, TX.

I agree it's difficult to put a $$ on wine. I bought a Merlot last night for $12 and it wasn't nearly as enjoyable as my usual "daily drinker" that costs $7.

I guess my biggest dilemma is what should my reasonable expectations be for the wines I make at home. I guess it's true that you get what you pay for - if I only make the cheapest kits, I'll probably end up with the least flavorful wines.

We're taking a few weeks from starting a new kit to see how our first 4 turn out and to save up for a high-end kit. I'm hoping after we've made a few we can decide what we like and what it's going to cost to make a wine we can enjoy.

Back