Kennell Estates Vineyard & Winery

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WORKI should have known that was coming
smiley3.gif

BOB

A pleasure to read your thread Bob....You've worked hard and it is inspiring to me. Thanks for sharing. Love the pictures :) Please keep 'em coming!

I just came in from finishing up the pruning job in my small vineyard. I have a question that I think most anyone could relate to.

Were any of you just the slightest bit apprehensive about taking a pair of pruners to your new vines that grew soo much better than you thought they would the first year and cutting them back to almost nothing?????

BOB
smiley24.gif

It can be traumatic for you seeing what you removed. Rest assured that they will overcome that severe pruning, exceeding your expectations for growth this year. The structure of the vine will be greatly improved. No you won't get grapes this year, but next year you should get a pretty good crop.

Where are the pictures? We want some pictures!
smiley4.gif

apprehensive yes....but as Appleman says...its worth it...i had peole walk and drive by feeling bad for me that i had lost the vines because they saw nothing but little sticks......this will be the last time you ever see little on those vines for the rest of their lives

Well I figured I better get the rest of my trellis supplies ordered, so that's what I did yesterday.

I ordered

Earth anchors
Gripples and pliers
wirevices
Vine tying material

Tomorrow I will order the rest of the metal to finish making my trellis tops. Figured I better start now before the vines decide to start growing.

BOB

make sure we get a picture in a yr or two of you sitting in front of your mature vines while smoking a cigar and drinking a glass :)

Thanks for the reminder- I think. I need to order those supplies also for 32 rows of vines
smiley18.gif
smiley11.gif

I want some picture of the trellis going in.

your a tad before me....the only leaves i saw pop out were behind the greenhouse where its a bit warmer....the rest are just puffed up

have fun this yr !

I have a question. Is there anything I can use to control dandelions in and around my vineyard and not hurt the grapes.

BOB

find some people who like using the greens for salad and also like dandelion wine

:)

if that dont work, then do what Rich suggested :)

Ah what I would for some ground like that. My ole red clay and gravel ground just begs to be like that

fivebk said:
I have a question. Is there anything I can use to control dandelions in and around my vineyard and not hurt the grapes.

BOB

I hear one of these can work miracles...... (until the grapes ripen)
smiley36.gif

20100426_094141_goat3a.jpg

Latest posts

Back