Kennell Estates Vineyard & Winery

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those have done very nicely for you this year Bob. You are keeping the vineyard spotless! Great Job! You want to come up here and clean up some of the extra weeds this year? I have run out of time for weeding. It is all dedicated to training, trimming and netting. Then soon will come harvest, and then some wine making, and then.........................

I would very much love to come to your place sometime!!!!

i am thoroughly and unequivocally impressed...that is looking darned good

has everything gone as expected? how if your disease pressure?

As far I can tell I have seen no signs of disease. I did a regular insect control spraying but I also have no idea of what to look for.

that is wonderful.....and now as the weather gets cooler it may seem that you can coast...i would however continue to watch for disease ( not because you will lose vines this year) because the cooler weather may give rise to some fungus finally finding your new vines...and it will give you a leg up on identifying things in time for next year

soon enough you will have your OWN fruit...gonna be a wonderful feeling

Very picturesque. Your vines could be the poster child for getting other ppl to grow them

Very nice looks great.AL
smiley32.gif

Bob

You are an inspiration to all of us. Keep up the great work.

Your family must be proud.

Congratulations

rrawhide

I did my part on deer control this fall!!

Here is a pic

20091223_164153_DSCN3288_Small.JPG

BOB

Ok guys I'm ready to start with the questions for this season.

I have 3 Edelweis vines that are three years old this season. Last season I let just 2 canes grow to the top wire ( I am using a GDC trellis system ) and horizontal down the wires.

What do I need to do as far as pruning these vines this year and can I let them set fruit and how much ??

For the other 27 vines I plan on pruning them back to about 18in. off the ground and take 2 canes up to the top wires Correct???

BOB

On the Edelweiss unless you ran some canes each way last year, which it doesn't sound like you did, Either letone run one way as far as it can on each wire. Then during the growing season, make sure that you train a cane to go the other way on each wire. Maybe alternate the direction of run of each cane. If they are barely to the top wire, cut it off just below the wire. Then as they grow this year, train a cane each way down the wire. Does any of that make sense to you? If you have a single cane on each wire already, you could leave some grapes that form on that cane, just not a lot yet. If only up to the wire, take all fruit off.

The others, cut back to where thy are larger than a pencil width and as you say bring up to the wires during the growing season.

Is the snow going away yet?

I do have cordons running down the top wires probably 8 - 10 feet and I alternated the direction to give them plenty of room. If that cordon is rather small in size ( towards the end of the run ) should I prune it back and let it grow again. If I let them set fruit what amount of clusters should I keep ( 50% )

The snow is starting to go away ( thank GOD ) I can get to all the vines to prune them except for maybe 2-3 vines.

Yes prune them back to where they are pencil diameter. Since it will be the first year of those canes, each node will form a shoot this year, and each of those will get about two clusters. Those shoots will become next years spurs if you want to spur prune to cordons each year. After bloom, I would go in and thin the clusters out to about4 clusters per foot maximum this year (one per shoot). If you leave more than that, the spurs will be too small next year.

Sorry, I am horrible in writing down a good explanation and I don't have time to do a diagram on the 'puter right now.

I went out and pruned a few vines this morning. I have decided not to let the Edelweis bear any grapes this year. By the time I pruned back to pencil size I only have about a 2 foot cordon on the top wire. This is why I have decided to go with growth and not rush production.

The vignoles vines look a little rough but it is probably way to early to get worried about how they handled the winter. They are the least vigorous vines in my small vineyard.

BOB

That will probably be a wise choice in the end. Get the stucture in place. If you can do it quickly, good, if not, take the time the vines need and get it right.

Vignoles are a smaller vine anyways and do take longer to get going. They may also get knocked back from cold since they only withstand about -12-15F without a lot of damage.

I pruned some grapes yesterday and scooped snow this morningWHAT'S NEXT I WONDER!!!!!!!!!

BOB

Latest posts

Back