Keeping the wire taut

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyRico

Reaction score
What do most use to keep the trellis wire taut? Ive seen several designs, figured I would ask what is most popular, and what works best.

I have these little galvanized rachtet deals that wind the wire tighter [or looser]. They were less than $5 bucks if I remember correctly & they do a great job on my 65 ft. long trellis systems. Got them from a Orchard supply co. can't remember where right now, if I find the info I'll post it. Roy

Thanks for the help guys, the rachtet style looks like the way to go, and I have a tractor supply down the street from me.

I have tried all sorts of systems. I hate the ratchet style for high tensile wire. That wire is too stiff to work well with the ratchets so it is a PITA to hook it up. I find simple gripples with the tensioning tool is all that is needed. The gripples cost a buck and that is all that is needed besides the tool, which at about $100 isn't cheap. You can improvise other ways of pulling the wire tight with the gripples, but the tension tool works best.

I have tried all sorts of systems. I hate the ratchet style for high tensile wire. That wire is too stiff to work well with the ratchets so it is a PITA to hook it up. I find simple gripples with the tensioning tool is all that is needed. The gripples cost a buck and that is all that is needed besides the tool, which at about $100 isn't cheap. You can improvise other ways of pulling the wire tight with the gripples, but the tension tool works best.

That what I use...:r

A little more expensive up front but easy to work with.

http://www.gripple.com/products/catalogue/agricultural/products/

grapeman said:

Gripples are the better option. You can quickly retension the wires as needed. I also use them on the end post anchor wires

This is what I used with stainless steel welding wire. At Lowes about $.69 each and you have about 4-5 In. adjustment. After you tighten them sounds like a guitar string. LOL

DSC01611.jpg

This is what I used with stainless steel welding wire. At Lowes about $.69 each and you have about 4-5 In. adjustment. After you tighten them sounds like a guitar string. LOL

Very cool.. wonder if you could tune it. :r

interesting.. in all my grape growing adventures.. I've never had this problem.

I usually make my ends using 10 foot of telephone poles I sink them into the ground about 5 foot or so .... I've used anything from aircraft cable to outdoor insulated electrical wire for my vines... the wire is easy I just wrap it around the pole a time or two pull it semi tight and pop a u shaped nail into the telephone pole.. Im sure a few of my runs are not really tight but I've never known any problems from it ?!?

Back