k meta fumes toxic?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyB78

Reaction score
Ok this sounds stupid but....I had a jug of sanitizing solution stored, for whatever reason I smelled it to see if it was k meta or water....holy crap it was horrible....how toxic is the fumes? I am actually worried now that I inhaled that smell. any help?

No question is stupid, although it's interesting you're worried so you posted on this forum instead of seeking medical help. If you're reading this, you'll be fine. If you're not reading this ...

The serious answer is that k-meta produces SO2 gas which can be harmful to those with asthma or other respiratory problems. For most others, there are usually no difficulties. It is best, however to work with k-meta in a ventilated area.

Tony P.

Last edited:
...k-meta produces SO2 gas which can be harmful to those with asthma or other respiratory problems. For most others, there are usually no difficulties. It is best, however to work with k-meta in a ventilated area.

Tony P.

I have asthma, and once in the biginning of my addiction errr I mean hobby I noticed I had a breathing issue after washing all my equipment after racking one of my first kits. I keep the windows open now.

Only reason I posted here instead was I didn't feel sick or anything it just smelled strong. I read msds and it just said remove to fresh air. Also I figured some might have some more details that has worked with it more. But yeah also found that people with asthma would be bothered most. But anyway thanks. I guess I won't go sniffing my jugs of sanitizer anymore lol

I should also mention that some people have an allergic reaction to SO2. This occurs mostly when the SO2 concentration in wine is too high, but can also occur from fumes.

Tony P.

Latest posts

Back