Just pitched yeast, smells vomitty?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In reply, I don't remember many of them as I don't buy that much wine now that I'm making it and never was a huge wine drinker to begin with. I'll check my list and see.

The off smell seems completely gone. Must temp down in mid 70's, 2 tsp nutrient added, just fruity fermentation now. Slight hint of vegetal aroma, but mostly fruit. And wow is RC212 foamy.

So for anyone else who pitched and immediately got mowed over by the smell: cool it off, give it nutrient, and give it time.

Thanks to everyone who pitched in with advice. Let's see how this bad boy turns out. :dg

The off smell seems completely gone. Must temp down in mid 70's, 2 tsp nutrient added, just fruity fermentation now. Slight hint of vegetal aroma, but mostly fruit. And wow is RC212 foamy.

So for anyone else who pitched and immediately got mowed over by the smell: cool it off, give it nutrient, and give it time.

Thanks to everyone who pitched in with advice. Let's see how this bad boy turns out. :dg

Nice that's how it went with mine. It will be a killer wine. Also if you end up needing wine to top off with later go ahead and buy Las Rocas De San Alejandro Garnacha it's also priced economically. :).

So fermentation finally stopped at 0.999. After copious amounts of extra nutrient (maybe 5 tsp) that RC212 piggy was happy. Racked yesterday and the wine smells absolutely divine. No trace whatsoever of vomit smell or anything even remotely unappealing. Very fruit forward, hoping extra time in the carboy will mellow out the fruit and let other flavors come into play.

Now to get that sucker degassed. It does not want to let go of the bubbles. Patience is a virtue.

So fermentation finally stopped at 0.999. After copious amounts of extra nutrient (maybe 5 tsp) that RC212 piggy was happy. Racked yesterday and the wine smells absolutely divine. No trace whatsoever of vomit smell or anything even remotely unappealing. Very fruit forward, hoping extra time in the carboy will mellow out the fruit and let other flavors come into play.

Now to get that sucker degassed. It does not want to let go of the bubbles. Patience is a virtue.
I can tell you that the fruit will not mellow out, mine never has and after being in the bottle for a bit now almost a month. It still smells and tastes super fruity. I don't think it will mellow for years really, maybe 2-5 years down the road it will mellow but the first year I expect it to be a fruit bomb

Thats exactly what happened with my wine, it smelled weird as hell for a long time then the smell went away.

Last edited:
Glad your smell cleared as easy as mine did. Mine was just a Fontana kit, but I'm finding more and more that I enjoy the Fontana kits (tweaked down to 5gal) more than other low or even medium cost kits out there. Let's see how these puppies are after a few years. Cheers!

Glad your smell cleared as easy as mine did. Mine was just a Fontana kit, but I'm finding more and more that I enjoy the Fontana kits (tweaked down to 5gal) more than other low or even medium cost kits out there. Let's see how these puppies are after a few years. Cheers!
Admittedly my kit was free, long story but would have been $175.00 so it was not really a low budget kit lol. Might be why mine is a bit idk, better? But i love the wine that I topped up with found out that its a great bottle of wine when i got a few for topping up, stole a sip from one of them and was like i need to actually buy this lol.

Latest posts

Back